News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert Commentary: What Facebook's proposed mobile ad network means for brands
There has been a lot of talk lately about a mobile ad network, powered by Facebook data that will put non-Facebook ads on consumers' mobile phones. What does such a network mean for advertisers?
One expert suggests this is not a surprising move. The grandfather of social networks - and still the largest global social network - has within its hands a wealth of rich consumer data. Data that includes likes, dislikes and even favorite brands; plus, Facebook is an increasingly mobile social network.
"Facebook recognizes that marketers are increasingly looking for opportunities to find and reach specific users through in-app mobile advertising. Mobile advertising has maintained a relatively high CPM, oftentimes performing better than traditional web display, making it arguably the most exciting advertising channel today," said Michael Della Penna, Senior Vice President of Emerging Channels, Responsys.
What does this potential move mean for mobile brands?
First it could increase the focus of many CMOs to apps and in-app advertising.
"As cookies are increasingly blocked and tech industry titans like Google, Facebook and Twitter gain access to new streams of data and help build out the in-app ad inventory, we're going to see a real explosion in the volume and quality of mobile advertising," said Della Penna. "The trick for marketers of course is to not put in-app advertising into a silo, but instead to orchestrate mobile ads with the marketing experiences that are being delivered across other channels. This is where Apple's IDFA and other unique advertising identifiers come into play because they provide marketers with the ability to identify actual individuals, which puts the directive on the marketer to serve up the most appropriate message for that person, at that moment."
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...