News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert Commentary: What Facebook's proposed mobile ad network means for brands
There has been a lot of talk lately about a mobile ad network, powered by Facebook data that will put non-Facebook ads on consumers' mobile phones. What does such a network mean for advertisers?
One expert suggests this is not a surprising move. The grandfather of social networks - and still the largest global social network - has within its hands a wealth of rich consumer data. Data that includes likes, dislikes and even favorite brands; plus, Facebook is an increasingly mobile social network.
"Facebook recognizes that marketers are increasingly looking for opportunities to find and reach specific users through in-app mobile advertising. Mobile advertising has maintained a relatively high CPM, oftentimes performing better than traditional web display, making it arguably the most exciting advertising channel today," said Michael Della Penna, Senior Vice President of Emerging Channels, Responsys.
What does this potential move mean for mobile brands?
First it could increase the focus of many CMOs to apps and in-app advertising.
"As cookies are increasingly blocked and tech industry titans like Google, Facebook and Twitter gain access to new streams of data and help build out the in-app ad inventory, we're going to see a real explosion in the volume and quality of mobile advertising," said Della Penna. "The trick for marketers of course is to not put in-app advertising into a silo, but instead to orchestrate mobile ads with the marketing experiences that are being delivered across other channels. This is where Apple's IDFA and other unique advertising identifiers come into play because they provide marketers with the ability to identify actual individuals, which puts the directive on the marketer to serve up the most appropriate message for that person, at that moment."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...