News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert Commentary: What Facebook's proposed mobile ad network means for brands
There has been a lot of talk lately about a mobile ad network, powered by Facebook data that will put non-Facebook ads on consumers' mobile phones. What does such a network mean for advertisers?
One expert suggests this is not a surprising move. The grandfather of social networks - and still the largest global social network - has within its hands a wealth of rich consumer data. Data that includes likes, dislikes and even favorite brands; plus, Facebook is an increasingly mobile social network.
"Facebook recognizes that marketers are increasingly looking for opportunities to find and reach specific users through in-app mobile advertising. Mobile advertising has maintained a relatively high CPM, oftentimes performing better than traditional web display, making it arguably the most exciting advertising channel today," said Michael Della Penna, Senior Vice President of Emerging Channels, Responsys.
What does this potential move mean for mobile brands?
First it could increase the focus of many CMOs to apps and in-app advertising.
"As cookies are increasingly blocked and tech industry titans like Google, Facebook and Twitter gain access to new streams of data and help build out the in-app ad inventory, we're going to see a real explosion in the volume and quality of mobile advertising," said Della Penna. "The trick for marketers of course is to not put in-app advertising into a silo, but instead to orchestrate mobile ads with the marketing experiences that are being delivered across other channels. This is where Apple's IDFA and other unique advertising identifiers come into play because they provide marketers with the ability to identify actual individuals, which puts the directive on the marketer to serve up the most appropriate message for that person, at that moment."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...