News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Don't read this article about a successful video ad
More often than not, if you ask someone not to do something, they'll go ahead and do it anyway - and that includes watching ads, according to the recent success of an ad by the team behind food delivery app Eat24.
Most people find ads annoying and will do what they can do avoid them. Pre-roll ads played on YouTube are no exception and many begin their viewing session with their mouse pointer hovering over the 'skip this' button.
It's also a well-known fact that accountants hate parting with money - and Eat24's accountant is no exception. During a viewing of the company's latest ad campaign, at which their accountant was present, his cost-saving instincts came to the fore. "Skip the ad," he said, "We have to pay for it if we watch it all the way through."
And that's when the creative light bulb appeared. If people were going to skip the ad anyway, why not urge them to do so - in the ad.
That's what they did - the short and simple ad not only displays the text 'skip this ad' but also draws users' attention to the 'skip ad' button. It even tells viewers that if they don't skip the ad Eat24 will have to pay.
The result? Almost all (91%) watched the entire ad, four times as many as the company's next-best ad. Maybe that's just people watching it through to incur costs for the advertiser, out of spite? Unlikely because the ad drove a whopping 7.1% click-through rate and there were 75% more app downloads during the campaign.
Obviously, the marketing team are delighted - their accountant, less so.
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...