News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Don't read this article about a successful video ad
More often than not, if you ask someone not to do something, they'll go ahead and do it anyway - and that includes watching ads, according to the recent success of an ad by the team behind food delivery app Eat24.
Most people find ads annoying and will do what they can do avoid them. Pre-roll ads played on YouTube are no exception and many begin their viewing session with their mouse pointer hovering over the 'skip this' button.
It's also a well-known fact that accountants hate parting with money - and Eat24's accountant is no exception. During a viewing of the company's latest ad campaign, at which their accountant was present, his cost-saving instincts came to the fore. "Skip the ad," he said, "We have to pay for it if we watch it all the way through."
And that's when the creative light bulb appeared. If people were going to skip the ad anyway, why not urge them to do so - in the ad.
That's what they did - the short and simple ad not only displays the text 'skip this ad' but also draws users' attention to the 'skip ad' button. It even tells viewers that if they don't skip the ad Eat24 will have to pay.
The result? Almost all (91%) watched the entire ad, four times as many as the company's next-best ad. Maybe that's just people watching it through to incur costs for the advertiser, out of spite? Unlikely because the ad drove a whopping 7.1% click-through rate and there were 75% more app downloads during the campaign.
Obviously, the marketing team are delighted - their accountant, less so.
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...