News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Don't read this article about a successful video ad
More often than not, if you ask someone not to do something, they'll go ahead and do it anyway - and that includes watching ads, according to the recent success of an ad by the team behind food delivery app Eat24.
Most people find ads annoying and will do what they can do avoid them. Pre-roll ads played on YouTube are no exception and many begin their viewing session with their mouse pointer hovering over the 'skip this' button.
It's also a well-known fact that accountants hate parting with money - and Eat24's accountant is no exception. During a viewing of the company's latest ad campaign, at which their accountant was present, his cost-saving instincts came to the fore. "Skip the ad," he said, "We have to pay for it if we watch it all the way through."
And that's when the creative light bulb appeared. If people were going to skip the ad anyway, why not urge them to do so - in the ad.
That's what they did - the short and simple ad not only displays the text 'skip this ad' but also draws users' attention to the 'skip ad' button. It even tells viewers that if they don't skip the ad Eat24 will have to pay.
The result? Almost all (91%) watched the entire ad, four times as many as the company's next-best ad. Maybe that's just people watching it through to incur costs for the advertiser, out of spite? Unlikely because the ad drove a whopping 7.1% click-through rate and there were 75% more app downloads during the campaign.
Obviously, the marketing team are delighted - their accountant, less so.
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...