News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Don't read this article about a successful video ad
More often than not, if you ask someone not to do something, they'll go ahead and do it anyway - and that includes watching ads, according to the recent success of an ad by the team behind food delivery app Eat24.
Most people find ads annoying and will do what they can do avoid them. Pre-roll ads played on YouTube are no exception and many begin their viewing session with their mouse pointer hovering over the 'skip this' button.
It's also a well-known fact that accountants hate parting with money - and Eat24's accountant is no exception. During a viewing of the company's latest ad campaign, at which their accountant was present, his cost-saving instincts came to the fore. "Skip the ad," he said, "We have to pay for it if we watch it all the way through."
And that's when the creative light bulb appeared. If people were going to skip the ad anyway, why not urge them to do so - in the ad.
That's what they did - the short and simple ad not only displays the text 'skip this ad' but also draws users' attention to the 'skip ad' button. It even tells viewers that if they don't skip the ad Eat24 will have to pay.
The result? Almost all (91%) watched the entire ad, four times as many as the company's next-best ad. Maybe that's just people watching it through to incur costs for the advertiser, out of spite? Unlikely because the ad drove a whopping 7.1% click-through rate and there were 75% more app downloads during the campaign.
Obviously, the marketing team are delighted - their accountant, less so.
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...