News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Customer satisfaction with ecommerce lowest in 12 years
It's even-stevens for physical stores and online retailers in terms of customer satisfaction, according to the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index.
With online customer satisfaction registering its lowest score for 12 years, and a rise in brick-and-mortar stores' score, the playing field has leveled between the two channels for the first time since e-commerce first featured in the Index 14 years ago.
Online customer satisfaction fell 4.9% last year to a score of 78, the lowest since 2001. According to the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) founder, Claes Fornell, this was due partly to discontent with online services from last-minute shoppers during the 2013 festive shopping period.
However, pure-play retailers, such as Amazon, saw their customer satisfaction score improve by 4% to 88, the Index leader. In fact, the report reveals that it was largely smaller e-commerce players that resulted in the overall drop in customer satisfaction.
Meanwhile, physical stores scored well for product inventory, staff performance, store layout and cleanliness boosting their scores. Top scorers include Costco, Barnes & Noble, Lowe's and OfficeMax - all scoring more than 80.
However, as Fornell points out, despite the overall increase in customer satisfaction at physical stores, "Diminished foot traffic at malls - along with a surge in shopping via mobile phones and tablets - indicates that consumers are increasingly embracing the advantages of online commerce."
Image via Shutterstock
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...