News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers equate mobile with smartphones, not tablets
New research provides some unique and interesting insights into the role of mobile in the lives of consumers and their thoughts on opting in to mobile communications from brands.
First things first - to consumers 'mobile' means a smartphone or cellphone. Over half (54%) of the 470 U.S. respondents to the Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey selected this association compared with just 14% who associate mobile with tablets or e-readers.
However, what most of the respondents agreed on is that mobile devices are now a central part of their everyday lives (85%), more so among those age 18-24 (90%).
Many consumers own both a smartphone and a tablet and, according to the 2014 Mobile Behavior Report, the two devices complement each other rather take time spent on the devices from each other. They do, however, differ in their use.
Consumers use tablets more than smartphones to access Twitter (76% of tracked Twitter use occurred on tablets), YouTube (73% of visits), Amazon (69% of visits) and Facebook (67% of visits). However, smartphones were used more than tablets to access Pinterest (83% of visits), weather (82% of visits) and Yahoo (55% of visits).
When it comes to opting in to receive mobile messages from brands, three-quarters of respondents said that location sharing provides them with more meaningful content and 73% said it is 'somewhat' or 'very' useful. Similarly, push notifications were effective in engaging with consumers immediately with just 8% ignoring or waiting to check a notification.
While just over half (54%) have opted in to receive text messages on their mobile from a brand, among those that have the format is viewed as being 'somewhat' or 'very' useful by almost all (91%).
Image via Shutterstock
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...