News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers equate mobile with smartphones, not tablets
New research provides some unique and interesting insights into the role of mobile in the lives of consumers and their thoughts on opting in to mobile communications from brands.
First things first - to consumers 'mobile' means a smartphone or cellphone. Over half (54%) of the 470 U.S. respondents to the Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey selected this association compared with just 14% who associate mobile with tablets or e-readers.
However, what most of the respondents agreed on is that mobile devices are now a central part of their everyday lives (85%), more so among those age 18-24 (90%).
Many consumers own both a smartphone and a tablet and, according to the 2014 Mobile Behavior Report, the two devices complement each other rather take time spent on the devices from each other. They do, however, differ in their use.
Consumers use tablets more than smartphones to access Twitter (76% of tracked Twitter use occurred on tablets), YouTube (73% of visits), Amazon (69% of visits) and Facebook (67% of visits). However, smartphones were used more than tablets to access Pinterest (83% of visits), weather (82% of visits) and Yahoo (55% of visits).
When it comes to opting in to receive mobile messages from brands, three-quarters of respondents said that location sharing provides them with more meaningful content and 73% said it is 'somewhat' or 'very' useful. Similarly, push notifications were effective in engaging with consumers immediately with just 8% ignoring or waiting to check a notification.
While just over half (54%) have opted in to receive text messages on their mobile from a brand, among those that have the format is viewed as being 'somewhat' or 'very' useful by almost all (91%).
Image via Shutterstock
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
- Reports: Mobile data traffic, video trending high
- Survey finds increased interest in online car buying
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...