News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers equate mobile with smartphones, not tablets
New research provides some unique and interesting insights into the role of mobile in the lives of consumers and their thoughts on opting in to mobile communications from brands.
First things first - to consumers 'mobile' means a smartphone or cellphone. Over half (54%) of the 470 U.S. respondents to the Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey selected this association compared with just 14% who associate mobile with tablets or e-readers.
However, what most of the respondents agreed on is that mobile devices are now a central part of their everyday lives (85%), more so among those age 18-24 (90%).
Many consumers own both a smartphone and a tablet and, according to the 2014 Mobile Behavior Report, the two devices complement each other rather take time spent on the devices from each other. They do, however, differ in their use.
Consumers use tablets more than smartphones to access Twitter (76% of tracked Twitter use occurred on tablets), YouTube (73% of visits), Amazon (69% of visits) and Facebook (67% of visits). However, smartphones were used more than tablets to access Pinterest (83% of visits), weather (82% of visits) and Yahoo (55% of visits).
When it comes to opting in to receive mobile messages from brands, three-quarters of respondents said that location sharing provides them with more meaningful content and 73% said it is 'somewhat' or 'very' useful. Similarly, push notifications were effective in engaging with consumers immediately with just 8% ignoring or waiting to check a notification.
While just over half (54%) have opted in to receive text messages on their mobile from a brand, among those that have the format is viewed as being 'somewhat' or 'very' useful by almost all (91%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...