News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cisco reports on the upcoming boom in mobile data traffic
As mobile devices expand from simply mobile phones and tablets, so will the amount of mobile data being used. According to a recent forecast from Internet networking form Cisco, the amount of mobile data used will skyrocket in the next four years.
Cisco predicts that mobile data traffic will exceed 190 exabytes worldwide by 2018, an 11-fold increase from last year. To put that in perspective, one exabyte is equivalent to one billion gigabytes equating to around 42 trillion images or four trillion video clips.
Cisco reveals even more extraordinary figures relating to the rise in the number of devices that will be in use come 2018. They predict that connected mobile devices will rise from 2013's 7 billion to 10 billion by 2018 - that number is 1.4 times the amount of people inhabiting the earth during that year. Incredible.
Wearable devices will certainly play a part in the increased number of devices and mobile traffic, but not by as much, nor as rapid, as many might expect. Cisco predicts that, by 2017, there will be 177 million wearable devices globally of which just 13% will incorporate mobile connectivity.
According to Cisco, "While there have been vast technological improvements to make wearables possible as a significant device category, the embedded cellular connectivity still has some barriers, such as technology, regulatory and health concerns, to overcome before it becomes widely available and adopted."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....