News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cisco reports on the upcoming boom in mobile data traffic
As mobile devices expand from simply mobile phones and tablets, so will the amount of mobile data being used. According to a recent forecast from Internet networking form Cisco, the amount of mobile data used will skyrocket in the next four years.
Cisco predicts that mobile data traffic will exceed 190 exabytes worldwide by 2018, an 11-fold increase from last year. To put that in perspective, one exabyte is equivalent to one billion gigabytes equating to around 42 trillion images or four trillion video clips.
Cisco reveals even more extraordinary figures relating to the rise in the number of devices that will be in use come 2018. They predict that connected mobile devices will rise from 2013's 7 billion to 10 billion by 2018 - that number is 1.4 times the amount of people inhabiting the earth during that year. Incredible.
Wearable devices will certainly play a part in the increased number of devices and mobile traffic, but not by as much, nor as rapid, as many might expect. Cisco predicts that, by 2017, there will be 177 million wearable devices globally of which just 13% will incorporate mobile connectivity.
According to Cisco, "While there have been vast technological improvements to make wearables possible as a significant device category, the embedded cellular connectivity still has some barriers, such as technology, regulatory and health concerns, to overcome before it becomes widely available and adopted."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...