News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cisco reports on the upcoming boom in mobile data traffic
As mobile devices expand from simply mobile phones and tablets, so will the amount of mobile data being used. According to a recent forecast from Internet networking form Cisco, the amount of mobile data used will skyrocket in the next four years.
Cisco predicts that mobile data traffic will exceed 190 exabytes worldwide by 2018, an 11-fold increase from last year. To put that in perspective, one exabyte is equivalent to one billion gigabytes equating to around 42 trillion images or four trillion video clips.
Cisco reveals even more extraordinary figures relating to the rise in the number of devices that will be in use come 2018. They predict that connected mobile devices will rise from 2013's 7 billion to 10 billion by 2018 - that number is 1.4 times the amount of people inhabiting the earth during that year. Incredible.
Wearable devices will certainly play a part in the increased number of devices and mobile traffic, but not by as much, nor as rapid, as many might expect. Cisco predicts that, by 2017, there will be 177 million wearable devices globally of which just 13% will incorporate mobile connectivity.
According to Cisco, "While there have been vast technological improvements to make wearables possible as a significant device category, the embedded cellular connectivity still has some barriers, such as technology, regulatory and health concerns, to overcome before it becomes widely available and adopted."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
- Brands: How mobile wallets can improve loyalty programs
- Survey: SMB's need more tax education
- 90% of marketers not trained in marketing performance, ROI
- Mobile plays significant role in the shopping habits of Boomers and Seniors
- Brands: Why Facebook ads may not be a cure-all
- Studies: Web performance impacting experience, Responsive Design slowing mobile sites
- Retailers lose a third of consumers through in-store smartphone use
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...