News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits not tuning out from traditional TV sets
Research in the U.S. suggests that mobile devices will replace the traditional television set by 2022. However, this scenario seems less likely in the U.K. where the vast majority of the population still prefers the television set over their tablet or laptop.
Recent research from Irdeto, presented at CES 2014, found that more than half of U.S. consumers believe the television could be ousted by mobile devices within the next decade. Their survey of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and over, conducted in late December, 2013, found that more than half (53%) expect smartphones and tablets to replace the television set by 2022 and 31% think it might happen a lot soon - within one to five years.
According to Richard Frankland, Irdeto VP of Sales, Americas, "we have reached a point where not only are devices as important to consumers as televisions, but a generational clash is also occurring between the demand for live programming and over the top services"
However, television viewing figures in the UK covering the whole of 2013, compiled by the marketing body for commercial television in the UK - Thinkbox - found that the traditional television set remains the main device on which Brits watch programming, accounting for 98.5% of total viewing.
The remaining 1.5% is accounted for by tablets and laptops and is only up slightly from 2012 when it was 1.2%.
"New screens are making TV even more convenient for viewers and creating new opportunities for advertisers," says Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox's Chief Executive. "But, the more we learn, the clearer it becomes that the TV set will remain our favorite way to watch TV - especially as on-demand services become more available on the best screen."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...