News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits not tuning out from traditional TV sets
Research in the U.S. suggests that mobile devices will replace the traditional television set by 2022. However, this scenario seems less likely in the U.K. where the vast majority of the population still prefers the television set over their tablet or laptop.
Recent research from Irdeto, presented at CES 2014, found that more than half of U.S. consumers believe the television could be ousted by mobile devices within the next decade. Their survey of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and over, conducted in late December, 2013, found that more than half (53%) expect smartphones and tablets to replace the television set by 2022 and 31% think it might happen a lot soon - within one to five years.
According to Richard Frankland, Irdeto VP of Sales, Americas, "we have reached a point where not only are devices as important to consumers as televisions, but a generational clash is also occurring between the demand for live programming and over the top services"
However, television viewing figures in the UK covering the whole of 2013, compiled by the marketing body for commercial television in the UK - Thinkbox - found that the traditional television set remains the main device on which Brits watch programming, accounting for 98.5% of total viewing.
The remaining 1.5% is accounted for by tablets and laptops and is only up slightly from 2012 when it was 1.2%.
"New screens are making TV even more convenient for viewers and creating new opportunities for advertisers," says Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox's Chief Executive. "But, the more we learn, the clearer it becomes that the TV set will remain our favorite way to watch TV - especially as on-demand services become more available on the best screen."
Image via Shutterstock
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...