News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits not tuning out from traditional TV sets
Research in the U.S. suggests that mobile devices will replace the traditional television set by 2022. However, this scenario seems less likely in the U.K. where the vast majority of the population still prefers the television set over their tablet or laptop.
Recent research from Irdeto, presented at CES 2014, found that more than half of U.S. consumers believe the television could be ousted by mobile devices within the next decade. Their survey of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and over, conducted in late December, 2013, found that more than half (53%) expect smartphones and tablets to replace the television set by 2022 and 31% think it might happen a lot soon - within one to five years.
According to Richard Frankland, Irdeto VP of Sales, Americas, "we have reached a point where not only are devices as important to consumers as televisions, but a generational clash is also occurring between the demand for live programming and over the top services"
However, television viewing figures in the UK covering the whole of 2013, compiled by the marketing body for commercial television in the UK - Thinkbox - found that the traditional television set remains the main device on which Brits watch programming, accounting for 98.5% of total viewing.
The remaining 1.5% is accounted for by tablets and laptops and is only up slightly from 2012 when it was 1.2%.
"New screens are making TV even more convenient for viewers and creating new opportunities for advertisers," says Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox's Chief Executive. "But, the more we learn, the clearer it becomes that the TV set will remain our favorite way to watch TV - especially as on-demand services become more available on the best screen."
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....