News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
BitTag: Helping Bitcoin shoppers find the right price
The digital currency Bitcoin has been gaining more mainstream acceptance of late, but there's one problem that users have to deal with on a daily, if not hourly, basis - its value can change in the blink of an eye.
Samuel Cox, a Creative Technologist with London-based creative and technology studio, RehabStudio, has come up with a device that will make in-store shoppers using the virtual currency Bitcoin getting a better handle of its current value.
Called BitTag, and currently in prototype stage, the devices are permanently connected to a computer running the BitTag app using Bluetooth low energy technology. This enables the BitTag to automatically display the current Bitcoin price of an item. The device, which has yet to be given a unit price, uses very little processing power with an OLED display and a rechargeable LiPo battery.
The way in which BitTag works is very simple and negates the need to pay at a checkout. To display the most up-to-date price of an item in Bitcoin a shopper simply shakes the matchbox-size device. A second shake provides the shopper with a QR code that is then scanned into the shopper's smartphone to transfer the funds from their Bitcoin wallet to the store's.
"As for BitTag taking off, it's very much tied to Bitcoin, so it depends on how fast/if Bitcoin is socially accepted," says Cox "But the reaction has been really good so far."
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
- Shoppers don't care for social integration of mobile apps
- 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
- Report: Travel sites missing the data mark
- Brands: How mobile wallets can improve loyalty programs
- Survey: SMB's need more tax education
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...