News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
App Annie: Apps pushing digital content on a global scale
The mobile space isn't just about staying connect with social networks or texting friends. Mobile, specifically apps, are now driving content, too. That according to The Digital Content Report 2013 out today from App Annie and HIS Technology.
The big takeaway from the App Annie report is that digital content is undergoing a shift and that shift is because of mobile apps. The data shows that between 2012 and 2013 digital content spending (movies, games, apps) increased by 30% with digital gaming leading the way. The gaming vertical saw consumers spend about $34 billion outside of apps, while content spending within apps nearly tripled for the year.
Other interesting findings from the Digital Content Report 2013: Global Shift Driven by Dramatic Growth of Apps include:
• Digital movie spending increased 21% to reach $8 billion (globally)
• Japan and South Korea saw app spending increase between 4 and 5 times between 2012 and 2013
• Music spending increased 77%
What is interesting about the music spend, specifically, is that subscription services are beginning to gain more steam. Many of the services use apps to deliver content direct to consumers' devices. Services like Shazam, Pandora Radio, Spotify and TunIn Radio lead the subscription race.
Meanwhile, in the movie space, the key to high-performing apps is the value added content. Many consumers are watching movies on mobile devices and through apps, but studios and distributers are finding success in offering tie-ins - games related to movies, promotion opportunities.
"The freemium business model became much more prominent among movie tie-in apps in 2013," was written in the report. "Reflecting the overall trend in the app stores toward generating consumer spend through in-app pruchases. No movie tie-in apps used the business model of a paid app with in-app purchases in 2013."
Image via Shutterstock
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...