News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
App Annie: Apps pushing digital content on a global scale
The mobile space isn't just about staying connect with social networks or texting friends. Mobile, specifically apps, are now driving content, too. That according to The Digital Content Report 2013 out today from App Annie and HIS Technology.
The big takeaway from the App Annie report is that digital content is undergoing a shift and that shift is because of mobile apps. The data shows that between 2012 and 2013 digital content spending (movies, games, apps) increased by 30% with digital gaming leading the way. The gaming vertical saw consumers spend about $34 billion outside of apps, while content spending within apps nearly tripled for the year.
Other interesting findings from the Digital Content Report 2013: Global Shift Driven by Dramatic Growth of Apps include:
• Digital movie spending increased 21% to reach $8 billion (globally)
• Japan and South Korea saw app spending increase between 4 and 5 times between 2012 and 2013
• Music spending increased 77%
What is interesting about the music spend, specifically, is that subscription services are beginning to gain more steam. Many of the services use apps to deliver content direct to consumers' devices. Services like Shazam, Pandora Radio, Spotify and TunIn Radio lead the subscription race.
Meanwhile, in the movie space, the key to high-performing apps is the value added content. Many consumers are watching movies on mobile devices and through apps, but studios and distributers are finding success in offering tie-ins - games related to movies, promotion opportunities.
"The freemium business model became much more prominent among movie tie-in apps in 2013," was written in the report. "Reflecting the overall trend in the app stores toward generating consumer spend through in-app pruchases. No movie tie-in apps used the business model of a paid app with in-app purchases in 2013."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...