News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
App Annie: Apps pushing digital content on a global scale
The mobile space isn't just about staying connect with social networks or texting friends. Mobile, specifically apps, are now driving content, too. That according to The Digital Content Report 2013 out today from App Annie and HIS Technology.
The big takeaway from the App Annie report is that digital content is undergoing a shift and that shift is because of mobile apps. The data shows that between 2012 and 2013 digital content spending (movies, games, apps) increased by 30% with digital gaming leading the way. The gaming vertical saw consumers spend about $34 billion outside of apps, while content spending within apps nearly tripled for the year.
Other interesting findings from the Digital Content Report 2013: Global Shift Driven by Dramatic Growth of Apps include:
• Digital movie spending increased 21% to reach $8 billion (globally)
• Japan and South Korea saw app spending increase between 4 and 5 times between 2012 and 2013
• Music spending increased 77%
What is interesting about the music spend, specifically, is that subscription services are beginning to gain more steam. Many of the services use apps to deliver content direct to consumers' devices. Services like Shazam, Pandora Radio, Spotify and TunIn Radio lead the subscription race.
Meanwhile, in the movie space, the key to high-performing apps is the value added content. Many consumers are watching movies on mobile devices and through apps, but studios and distributers are finding success in offering tie-ins - games related to movies, promotion opportunities.
"The freemium business model became much more prominent among movie tie-in apps in 2013," was written in the report. "Reflecting the overall trend in the app stores toward generating consumer spend through in-app pruchases. No movie tie-in apps used the business model of a paid app with in-app purchases in 2013."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....