News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Always On' number nears 50%, looks for shopping, reading options
There has been speculation for just over a year now that mobile has reached the tipping point for consumers. New research out from Vivaldi Partners underscores that tipping point with another: the always-on population, those who stay connected via mobile and computer options 24/7, is nearly at the 50% mark.
In the US more than 65% of the population is now mobile according to comScore; many other nations, especially developed nations, show similar penetration rates. So it should come as no surprise that the growing mobile user base is 'always on'. What is interesting is how these always on consumers are engaging with content, shopping and ads while in the mobile space.
For the report Vivaldi identified 'always on' consumers as having 3 or more connected devices and who go online multiple times each day from different physical locations; according to their findings about 47% of mobile users are now 'always on'. What's more while they are on they are shopping or researching purchases and reading content. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 79% of always on consumers shop online for the selection
• 55% buy clothing online
• 47% buy books
• 43% purchase electronics
"I am pleased to present the Always-on Consumer report. There is no doubt that the Always-on Consumer is a powerful and influential segment that will only continue to grow," said Erich Joachimsthaler, CEO and Founder of Vivaldi Partners Group. "Our research shows the need for marketers to come up with new ways, methods and approaches to understand consumers, what matters to them, and how they view brands through the new technologies that are available to consumers and to brands."
What does an always on consumer look like? Interestingly enough most (51%) have at least a bachelor's degree, make more than $40,000/year (80%), and own a smartphone (92%).
Image via Shutterstock
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...