News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Always On' number nears 50%, looks for shopping, reading options
There has been speculation for just over a year now that mobile has reached the tipping point for consumers. New research out from Vivaldi Partners underscores that tipping point with another: the always-on population, those who stay connected via mobile and computer options 24/7, is nearly at the 50% mark.
In the US more than 65% of the population is now mobile according to comScore; many other nations, especially developed nations, show similar penetration rates. So it should come as no surprise that the growing mobile user base is 'always on'. What is interesting is how these always on consumers are engaging with content, shopping and ads while in the mobile space.
For the report Vivaldi identified 'always on' consumers as having 3 or more connected devices and who go online multiple times each day from different physical locations; according to their findings about 47% of mobile users are now 'always on'. What's more while they are on they are shopping or researching purchases and reading content. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 79% of always on consumers shop online for the selection
• 55% buy clothing online
• 47% buy books
• 43% purchase electronics
"I am pleased to present the Always-on Consumer report. There is no doubt that the Always-on Consumer is a powerful and influential segment that will only continue to grow," said Erich Joachimsthaler, CEO and Founder of Vivaldi Partners Group. "Our research shows the need for marketers to come up with new ways, methods and approaches to understand consumers, what matters to them, and how they view brands through the new technologies that are available to consumers and to brands."
What does an always on consumer look like? Interestingly enough most (51%) have at least a bachelor's degree, make more than $40,000/year (80%), and own a smartphone (92%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
- Study: Content, page loads reduce brand trust
- Study: Personalization key for email engagement
- Top 3 tips to set up rules to protect against fraud
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...