News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Always On' number nears 50%, looks for shopping, reading options
There has been speculation for just over a year now that mobile has reached the tipping point for consumers. New research out from Vivaldi Partners underscores that tipping point with another: the always-on population, those who stay connected via mobile and computer options 24/7, is nearly at the 50% mark.
In the US more than 65% of the population is now mobile according to comScore; many other nations, especially developed nations, show similar penetration rates. So it should come as no surprise that the growing mobile user base is 'always on'. What is interesting is how these always on consumers are engaging with content, shopping and ads while in the mobile space.
For the report Vivaldi identified 'always on' consumers as having 3 or more connected devices and who go online multiple times each day from different physical locations; according to their findings about 47% of mobile users are now 'always on'. What's more while they are on they are shopping or researching purchases and reading content. Some interesting findings from the report include:
• 79% of always on consumers shop online for the selection
• 55% buy clothing online
• 47% buy books
• 43% purchase electronics
"I am pleased to present the Always-on Consumer report. There is no doubt that the Always-on Consumer is a powerful and influential segment that will only continue to grow," said Erich Joachimsthaler, CEO and Founder of Vivaldi Partners Group. "Our research shows the need for marketers to come up with new ways, methods and approaches to understand consumers, what matters to them, and how they view brands through the new technologies that are available to consumers and to brands."
What does an always on consumer look like? Interestingly enough most (51%) have at least a bachelor's degree, make more than $40,000/year (80%), and own a smartphone (92%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...