News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
60% of TV show interactions on Facebook occur during broadcast
Marketers have long wanted to know about the social aspect of Facebook's relation with television viewing and, thanks to new research conducted in partnership with UK-based social television analytics firm SecondSync, they have some answers.
Ever wondered if engagement on Facebook about a television show occurs during, or after, the broadcast? According to the Facebook/SecondSync research, contrary to previous assumptions, 60% of conversations regarding a show actually take place during broadcast, and the remainder after the event.
According to the resulting whitepaper, "Watching with Friends", viewers use Posts to start conversations that cluster around events in the show. In turn, Posts often seed huge volumes of Comments and Likes that have broader peaks of engagement which are sustained for a much longer time period as friends continue discussions long after the show has aired.
Consistent with second-screen behavior, a whopping 80% of social chatter on Facebook about a television show takes place on a mobile device. However, different show genres show different device uses. While interactions with entertainment shows are more likely to be generated by Facebook mobile apps, interactions with news and current affairs shows are more likely to be generated by Facebook.com in a browser.
"The Watching with Friends paper offers a fascinating insight into how people use Facebook to talk about TV, offering a first glimpse into the scale and longevity of discussion before, during, and after the broadcast," says Fred Leach, Facebook's Head of Measurement R&D and Partnerships. "This has valuable marketing implications, demonstrating trends by demographic and how mobile has become the key method of engagement."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...