News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
60% of TV show interactions on Facebook occur during broadcast
Marketers have long wanted to know about the social aspect of Facebook's relation with television viewing and, thanks to new research conducted in partnership with UK-based social television analytics firm SecondSync, they have some answers.
Ever wondered if engagement on Facebook about a television show occurs during, or after, the broadcast? According to the Facebook/SecondSync research, contrary to previous assumptions, 60% of conversations regarding a show actually take place during broadcast, and the remainder after the event.
According to the resulting whitepaper, "Watching with Friends", viewers use Posts to start conversations that cluster around events in the show. In turn, Posts often seed huge volumes of Comments and Likes that have broader peaks of engagement which are sustained for a much longer time period as friends continue discussions long after the show has aired.
Consistent with second-screen behavior, a whopping 80% of social chatter on Facebook about a television show takes place on a mobile device. However, different show genres show different device uses. While interactions with entertainment shows are more likely to be generated by Facebook mobile apps, interactions with news and current affairs shows are more likely to be generated by Facebook.com in a browser.
"The Watching with Friends paper offers a fascinating insight into how people use Facebook to talk about TV, offering a first glimpse into the scale and longevity of discussion before, during, and after the broadcast," says Fred Leach, Facebook's Head of Measurement R&D and Partnerships. "This has valuable marketing implications, demonstrating trends by demographic and how mobile has become the key method of engagement."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...