News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
60% of TV show interactions on Facebook occur during broadcast
Marketers have long wanted to know about the social aspect of Facebook's relation with television viewing and, thanks to new research conducted in partnership with UK-based social television analytics firm SecondSync, they have some answers.
Ever wondered if engagement on Facebook about a television show occurs during, or after, the broadcast? According to the Facebook/SecondSync research, contrary to previous assumptions, 60% of conversations regarding a show actually take place during broadcast, and the remainder after the event.
According to the resulting whitepaper, "Watching with Friends", viewers use Posts to start conversations that cluster around events in the show. In turn, Posts often seed huge volumes of Comments and Likes that have broader peaks of engagement which are sustained for a much longer time period as friends continue discussions long after the show has aired.
Consistent with second-screen behavior, a whopping 80% of social chatter on Facebook about a television show takes place on a mobile device. However, different show genres show different device uses. While interactions with entertainment shows are more likely to be generated by Facebook mobile apps, interactions with news and current affairs shows are more likely to be generated by Facebook.com in a browser.
"The Watching with Friends paper offers a fascinating insight into how people use Facebook to talk about TV, offering a first glimpse into the scale and longevity of discussion before, during, and after the broadcast," says Fred Leach, Facebook's Head of Measurement R&D and Partnerships. "This has valuable marketing implications, demonstrating trends by demographic and how mobile has become the key method of engagement."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...