News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
32.8 million Americans use a mobile device to book travel
A new survey reveals that booking travel on a mobile device is an increasingly popular activity, particularly among younger travel bookers.
In its third annual American Travel behavior study, discount travel website Hotwire found that 18% of travel bookers have booked travel using a mobile device. Furthermore, in the study conducted by Harris Interactive among over 2,000 U.S. adults, younger travel bookers were significantly more likely to use a mobile device to book travel - 37% of 18-34 year olds and a quarter of those between the ages of 35 and 44.
With over half of Americans now packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, Henrik Kjellberg, president of the Hotwire Group, believes that the overall 18% of travel bookers using mobile is "the tip of the iceberg", particularly since many travel companies are now incorporating mobile experiences into their overall strategies. Hotwire itself experienced a 60% year-on-year rise in mobile bookings during the first 9 months of last year and mobile now accounts for nearly 20% of all transactions.
In terms of how the 18% of all adults have used mobile to book travel, the survey shows that 12% made bookings via a smartphone with slightly less, 10% using a tablet. Seven percent of those that made a booking did so using an app.
"We expect the number of mobile bookings to grow exponentially, outpacing desktop bookings in the next year or two, as more people of all ages become comfortable booking through their mobile device and making last-minute purchases," said Kjellberg.
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...