News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
32.8 million Americans use a mobile device to book travel
A new survey reveals that booking travel on a mobile device is an increasingly popular activity, particularly among younger travel bookers.
In its third annual American Travel behavior study, discount travel website Hotwire found that 18% of travel bookers have booked travel using a mobile device. Furthermore, in the study conducted by Harris Interactive among over 2,000 U.S. adults, younger travel bookers were significantly more likely to use a mobile device to book travel - 37% of 18-34 year olds and a quarter of those between the ages of 35 and 44.
With over half of Americans now packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, Henrik Kjellberg, president of the Hotwire Group, believes that the overall 18% of travel bookers using mobile is "the tip of the iceberg", particularly since many travel companies are now incorporating mobile experiences into their overall strategies. Hotwire itself experienced a 60% year-on-year rise in mobile bookings during the first 9 months of last year and mobile now accounts for nearly 20% of all transactions.
In terms of how the 18% of all adults have used mobile to book travel, the survey shows that 12% made bookings via a smartphone with slightly less, 10% using a tablet. Seven percent of those that made a booking did so using an app.
"We expect the number of mobile bookings to grow exponentially, outpacing desktop bookings in the next year or two, as more people of all ages become comfortable booking through their mobile device and making last-minute purchases," said Kjellberg.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...