News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
32.8 million Americans use a mobile device to book travel
A new survey reveals that booking travel on a mobile device is an increasingly popular activity, particularly among younger travel bookers.
In its third annual American Travel behavior study, discount travel website Hotwire found that 18% of travel bookers have booked travel using a mobile device. Furthermore, in the study conducted by Harris Interactive among over 2,000 U.S. adults, younger travel bookers were significantly more likely to use a mobile device to book travel - 37% of 18-34 year olds and a quarter of those between the ages of 35 and 44.
With over half of Americans now packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, Henrik Kjellberg, president of the Hotwire Group, believes that the overall 18% of travel bookers using mobile is "the tip of the iceberg", particularly since many travel companies are now incorporating mobile experiences into their overall strategies. Hotwire itself experienced a 60% year-on-year rise in mobile bookings during the first 9 months of last year and mobile now accounts for nearly 20% of all transactions.
In terms of how the 18% of all adults have used mobile to book travel, the survey shows that 12% made bookings via a smartphone with slightly less, 10% using a tablet. Seven percent of those that made a booking did so using an app.
"We expect the number of mobile bookings to grow exponentially, outpacing desktop bookings in the next year or two, as more people of all ages become comfortable booking through their mobile device and making last-minute purchases," said Kjellberg.
Image via Shutterstock
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....