News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
32.8 million Americans use a mobile device to book travel
A new survey reveals that booking travel on a mobile device is an increasingly popular activity, particularly among younger travel bookers.
In its third annual American Travel behavior study, discount travel website Hotwire found that 18% of travel bookers have booked travel using a mobile device. Furthermore, in the study conducted by Harris Interactive among over 2,000 U.S. adults, younger travel bookers were significantly more likely to use a mobile device to book travel - 37% of 18-34 year olds and a quarter of those between the ages of 35 and 44.
With over half of Americans now packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, Henrik Kjellberg, president of the Hotwire Group, believes that the overall 18% of travel bookers using mobile is "the tip of the iceberg", particularly since many travel companies are now incorporating mobile experiences into their overall strategies. Hotwire itself experienced a 60% year-on-year rise in mobile bookings during the first 9 months of last year and mobile now accounts for nearly 20% of all transactions.
In terms of how the 18% of all adults have used mobile to book travel, the survey shows that 12% made bookings via a smartphone with slightly less, 10% using a tablet. Seven percent of those that made a booking did so using an app.
"We expect the number of mobile bookings to grow exponentially, outpacing desktop bookings in the next year or two, as more people of all ages become comfortable booking through their mobile device and making last-minute purchases," said Kjellberg.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...