News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
32.8 million Americans use a mobile device to book travel
A new survey reveals that booking travel on a mobile device is an increasingly popular activity, particularly among younger travel bookers.
In its third annual American Travel behavior study, discount travel website Hotwire found that 18% of travel bookers have booked travel using a mobile device. Furthermore, in the study conducted by Harris Interactive among over 2,000 U.S. adults, younger travel bookers were significantly more likely to use a mobile device to book travel - 37% of 18-34 year olds and a quarter of those between the ages of 35 and 44.
With over half of Americans now packing the power of a smartphone in their pocket, Henrik Kjellberg, president of the Hotwire Group, believes that the overall 18% of travel bookers using mobile is "the tip of the iceberg", particularly since many travel companies are now incorporating mobile experiences into their overall strategies. Hotwire itself experienced a 60% year-on-year rise in mobile bookings during the first 9 months of last year and mobile now accounts for nearly 20% of all transactions.
In terms of how the 18% of all adults have used mobile to book travel, the survey shows that 12% made bookings via a smartphone with slightly less, 10% using a tablet. Seven percent of those that made a booking did so using an app.
"We expect the number of mobile bookings to grow exponentially, outpacing desktop bookings in the next year or two, as more people of all ages become comfortable booking through their mobile device and making last-minute purchases," said Kjellberg.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...