News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
16% of gamers shun physical for digital distribution
More and more gamers are shunning physical media and getting their games entirely in digital form, according to the NPD Group's 'Exploring Digital Gaming' report.
The NPD Group's survey of more than 6,000 people in the U.S. aged 13 and over found that more than a third (36%) now play downloaded games, be it on a computer, console or handheld device.
Among that group, 16% now only play games that are distributed digitally.
However, among all gamers, preferences differ. When asked whether they would opt for a digital or physical game version, where both games were the same price, 25% said they would opt for the digital version, 30% would go for the physical version and the remainder were undecided.
The vast majority of gamers who prefer digital versions download games for a PC (90%) with just 28% of digital gamers downloading for a console.
However, the standout finding from the report is that, despite what's happening in digital, gamers said that "their spending on digital did not have an impact on their physical game spending".
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
- AdRoll: Study finds retargeting focus for most brands
- Study: Power of Hispanic shoppers growing
- Report: News, media sites opening slow in mobile
- Marin: Brands looking to integrate marketing efforts
- Nielsen sheds light on the Millennial male
- Ad RoundUp: Analysis key to releases
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...