News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
16% of gamers shun physical for digital distribution
More and more gamers are shunning physical media and getting their games entirely in digital form, according to the NPD Group's 'Exploring Digital Gaming' report.
The NPD Group's survey of more than 6,000 people in the U.S. aged 13 and over found that more than a third (36%) now play downloaded games, be it on a computer, console or handheld device.
Among that group, 16% now only play games that are distributed digitally.
However, among all gamers, preferences differ. When asked whether they would opt for a digital or physical game version, where both games were the same price, 25% said they would opt for the digital version, 30% would go for the physical version and the remainder were undecided.
The vast majority of gamers who prefer digital versions download games for a PC (90%) with just 28% of digital gamers downloading for a console.
However, the standout finding from the report is that, despite what's happening in digital, gamers said that "their spending on digital did not have an impact on their physical game spending".
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: How to reconnect customers
- Fiksu launches mobile audience platform
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for mobile, online reach
- Imbalanced approach to social means consumers left waiting for response
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
Featured White Papers
- B2B Marketing Automation Platforms 2015: A Marketer's Guide
This report was prepared by conducting in-depth interviews with leading vendors and industry experts....
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...