News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
16% of gamers shun physical for digital distribution
More and more gamers are shunning physical media and getting their games entirely in digital form, according to the NPD Group's 'Exploring Digital Gaming' report.
The NPD Group's survey of more than 6,000 people in the U.S. aged 13 and over found that more than a third (36%) now play downloaded games, be it on a computer, console or handheld device.
Among that group, 16% now only play games that are distributed digitally.
However, among all gamers, preferences differ. When asked whether they would opt for a digital or physical game version, where both games were the same price, 25% said they would opt for the digital version, 30% would go for the physical version and the remainder were undecided.
The vast majority of gamers who prefer digital versions download games for a PC (90%) with just 28% of digital gamers downloading for a console.
However, the standout finding from the report is that, despite what's happening in digital, gamers said that "their spending on digital did not have an impact on their physical game spending".
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...