News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
16% of gamers shun physical for digital distribution
More and more gamers are shunning physical media and getting their games entirely in digital form, according to the NPD Group's 'Exploring Digital Gaming' report.
The NPD Group's survey of more than 6,000 people in the U.S. aged 13 and over found that more than a third (36%) now play downloaded games, be it on a computer, console or handheld device.
Among that group, 16% now only play games that are distributed digitally.
However, among all gamers, preferences differ. When asked whether they would opt for a digital or physical game version, where both games were the same price, 25% said they would opt for the digital version, 30% would go for the physical version and the remainder were undecided.
The vast majority of gamers who prefer digital versions download games for a PC (90%) with just 28% of digital gamers downloading for a console.
However, the standout finding from the report is that, despite what's happening in digital, gamers said that "their spending on digital did not have an impact on their physical game spending".
Image via Shutterstock
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...