News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
16% of gamers shun physical for digital distribution
More and more gamers are shunning physical media and getting their games entirely in digital form, according to the NPD Group's 'Exploring Digital Gaming' report.
The NPD Group's survey of more than 6,000 people in the U.S. aged 13 and over found that more than a third (36%) now play downloaded games, be it on a computer, console or handheld device.
Among that group, 16% now only play games that are distributed digitally.
However, among all gamers, preferences differ. When asked whether they would opt for a digital or physical game version, where both games were the same price, 25% said they would opt for the digital version, 30% would go for the physical version and the remainder were undecided.
The vast majority of gamers who prefer digital versions download games for a PC (90%) with just 28% of digital gamers downloading for a console.
However, the standout finding from the report is that, despite what's happening in digital, gamers said that "their spending on digital did not have an impact on their physical game spending".
Image via Shutterstock
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...