News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Zynga tests payment option expansion with BitPay
Social gaming giant Zynga has announced it is testing a new payment option - the virtual currency Bitcoin.
With help from BitPay, Zynga is hoping to expand its payment options for players to make in-game purchases. A Bitcoin test will be available to players of a select number of games including FarmVille 2, ChefVille, Hidden Chronicles and Hidden Shadows.
Whether Zynga rolls out the payment option to all its games depends on user feedback from the test.
The news that a top social games company is to test Bitcoins has seen the virtual currency's value jump back to over $1,000 after having fallen to $640 in December, 2013, after China's largest Bitcoin market ceased accepting deposits. Zynga's intentions were first broadcast on the /r/bitcoin community on Reddit over the weekend.
While Bitcoin has received much press over the past year, its value has sky-rocketed and plummeted in equal measure, and the future of the currency is equally as unstable. While the Bank of America deems Bitcoin a "serious competitor to traditional money providers", its instability is likely to keep it from going mainstream for the foreseeable future.
Nevertheless, with Zynga's interest, and a plethora of retailers both on, and offline, prepared to take payment in Bitcoin, it is certainly a phenomenon that is worth watching.
During the festive frenzy of 2013, many retailers took part in a Bitcoin Black Friday event, including Virgin Galactic, Reddit Gold, CheapAir.com and GSM Nation.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...