News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Online trust falls to lowest point in three years
New research reveals that almost half of UK Internet users do not trust businesses with their personal data, a big drop in confidence compared with just two years ago.
In their survey of more than 2,000 Internet users in the UK, TRUSTe found that privacy concerns are rising with just 55% trusting companies with their personal data compared with 63% two years ago.
The resulting TRUSTe Consumer Confidence Index (UK), with research conducted by Ipsos Mori, also found that 89% of Internet users in the UK avoid companies that they think will not adequately protect their privacy.
Privacy concerns extend to mobile devices, with over three-quarters (78%) avoiding apps they believe might compromise privacy and the same number now checking out a company's privacy certification or seal. Furthermore, almost two-thirds (63%) are less likely to enable location tracking on their smartphone.
Ken Parnham, European Managing Director of TRUSTe says that it comes as no surprise, in the wake of media headlines about government surveillance programs, that consumer trust has fallen to "its lowest point yet".
"Lack of trust can starve businesses of valuable data and sales, restricting the lifeblood of the digital economy as people are less likely to click on ads, use apps or enable location tracking on their smartphones," added Parnham. "These findings show that success is no longer just about innovation, companies need to take decisive action to address online privacy concerns to stay ahead of the competition, minimize risk and build online trust."
The findings have been released on the seventh Data Privacy Day, a day that commemorates the signing of the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection back in 1981.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
- New Zealand passes law criminalizing cyberbullying
- U.K.: Marketers concerned about keeping pace with marketing technology
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...