News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Online trust falls to lowest point in three years
New research reveals that almost half of UK Internet users do not trust businesses with their personal data, a big drop in confidence compared with just two years ago.
In their survey of more than 2,000 Internet users in the UK, TRUSTe found that privacy concerns are rising with just 55% trusting companies with their personal data compared with 63% two years ago.
The resulting TRUSTe Consumer Confidence Index (UK), with research conducted by Ipsos Mori, also found that 89% of Internet users in the UK avoid companies that they think will not adequately protect their privacy.
Privacy concerns extend to mobile devices, with over three-quarters (78%) avoiding apps they believe might compromise privacy and the same number now checking out a company's privacy certification or seal. Furthermore, almost two-thirds (63%) are less likely to enable location tracking on their smartphone.
Ken Parnham, European Managing Director of TRUSTe says that it comes as no surprise, in the wake of media headlines about government surveillance programs, that consumer trust has fallen to "its lowest point yet".
"Lack of trust can starve businesses of valuable data and sales, restricting the lifeblood of the digital economy as people are less likely to click on ads, use apps or enable location tracking on their smartphones," added Parnham. "These findings show that success is no longer just about innovation, companies need to take decisive action to address online privacy concerns to stay ahead of the competition, minimize risk and build online trust."
The findings have been released on the seventh Data Privacy Day, a day that commemorates the signing of the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection back in 1981.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: In mobile, color matters
- Vungle releases ad tool, integrates with Adap.TV
- Multifactor authentication added to RoboForm
- Research reveals which website image format results in happier visitors
- Location accuracy analysis reveals improvement for mobile ad campaigns
- Research reveals Millennials' attitudes toward brands
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...