News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Online trust falls to lowest point in three years
New research reveals that almost half of UK Internet users do not trust businesses with their personal data, a big drop in confidence compared with just two years ago.
In their survey of more than 2,000 Internet users in the UK, TRUSTe found that privacy concerns are rising with just 55% trusting companies with their personal data compared with 63% two years ago.
The resulting TRUSTe Consumer Confidence Index (UK), with research conducted by Ipsos Mori, also found that 89% of Internet users in the UK avoid companies that they think will not adequately protect their privacy.
Privacy concerns extend to mobile devices, with over three-quarters (78%) avoiding apps they believe might compromise privacy and the same number now checking out a company's privacy certification or seal. Furthermore, almost two-thirds (63%) are less likely to enable location tracking on their smartphone.
Ken Parnham, European Managing Director of TRUSTe says that it comes as no surprise, in the wake of media headlines about government surveillance programs, that consumer trust has fallen to "its lowest point yet".
"Lack of trust can starve businesses of valuable data and sales, restricting the lifeblood of the digital economy as people are less likely to click on ads, use apps or enable location tracking on their smartphones," added Parnham. "These findings show that success is no longer just about innovation, companies need to take decisive action to address online privacy concerns to stay ahead of the competition, minimize risk and build online trust."
The findings have been released on the seventh Data Privacy Day, a day that commemorates the signing of the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection back in 1981.
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...