News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Online trust falls to lowest point in three years
New research reveals that almost half of UK Internet users do not trust businesses with their personal data, a big drop in confidence compared with just two years ago.
In their survey of more than 2,000 Internet users in the UK, TRUSTe found that privacy concerns are rising with just 55% trusting companies with their personal data compared with 63% two years ago.
The resulting TRUSTe Consumer Confidence Index (UK), with research conducted by Ipsos Mori, also found that 89% of Internet users in the UK avoid companies that they think will not adequately protect their privacy.
Privacy concerns extend to mobile devices, with over three-quarters (78%) avoiding apps they believe might compromise privacy and the same number now checking out a company's privacy certification or seal. Furthermore, almost two-thirds (63%) are less likely to enable location tracking on their smartphone.
Ken Parnham, European Managing Director of TRUSTe says that it comes as no surprise, in the wake of media headlines about government surveillance programs, that consumer trust has fallen to "its lowest point yet".
"Lack of trust can starve businesses of valuable data and sales, restricting the lifeblood of the digital economy as people are less likely to click on ads, use apps or enable location tracking on their smartphones," added Parnham. "These findings show that success is no longer just about innovation, companies need to take decisive action to address online privacy concerns to stay ahead of the competition, minimize risk and build online trust."
The findings have been released on the seventh Data Privacy Day, a day that commemorates the signing of the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection back in 1981.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...