News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Online trust falls to lowest point in three years
New research reveals that almost half of UK Internet users do not trust businesses with their personal data, a big drop in confidence compared with just two years ago.
In their survey of more than 2,000 Internet users in the UK, TRUSTe found that privacy concerns are rising with just 55% trusting companies with their personal data compared with 63% two years ago.
The resulting TRUSTe Consumer Confidence Index (UK), with research conducted by Ipsos Mori, also found that 89% of Internet users in the UK avoid companies that they think will not adequately protect their privacy.
Privacy concerns extend to mobile devices, with over three-quarters (78%) avoiding apps they believe might compromise privacy and the same number now checking out a company's privacy certification or seal. Furthermore, almost two-thirds (63%) are less likely to enable location tracking on their smartphone.
Ken Parnham, European Managing Director of TRUSTe says that it comes as no surprise, in the wake of media headlines about government surveillance programs, that consumer trust has fallen to "its lowest point yet".
"Lack of trust can starve businesses of valuable data and sales, restricting the lifeblood of the digital economy as people are less likely to click on ads, use apps or enable location tracking on their smartphones," added Parnham. "These findings show that success is no longer just about innovation, companies need to take decisive action to address online privacy concerns to stay ahead of the competition, minimize risk and build online trust."
The findings have been released on the seventh Data Privacy Day, a day that commemorates the signing of the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection back in 1981.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...