News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.K. leads world in online retail export
A new report from OC&C Strategy Consultants and Google reveals the success of UK retailers with the country being the world's leading ecommerce exporter.
UK retailers exported a $1 billion more goods than were imported in 2013, a trade surplus far ahead of second and third place U.S ($180 million) and Germany ($34 million).
The Global Retail E-mpire Report, from OC&C Strategy Consultants and Google, also predicts that, over the next seven years, online trade among the six biggest ecommerce markets (France, Germany, Netherlands, Nordics, U.K., U.S.) will grow fivefold to $130 billion. That's significant growth from 2013's $25 billion, driven by rising consumer confidence and a global increase in people with Internet access.
The study shows that the number of consumers searching online for British brands and retailers from outside of the UK is growing on average by 46% a year since 2010.
"The success of UK retailers can partly be attributed to operating in the most advanced ecommerce market in the world, but also to the high level of trust international customers have in UK brands and retailers," says Peter Fitzgerald, director at Google. "Looking to the future, any retailer wishing to enter the market must adopt a digital-first strategy to succeed."
The U.K.'s success in online export was attributed to sought-after retailers such as ASOS and Net-A-Porter. The reasons behind UK retailers' strong performance against overseas domestic competition were better choice, advantaged pricing and a compelling site and customer service experience.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...