News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers want simple and mobile
Already data is pouring in from the 2013 holiday shopping season - from the increased number of people shopping via mobile, using mobile in-store to facilitate purchases and how shoppers are engaging with coupons and deals. The big takeaway: today's shoppers want simple infrastructures and mobile accessibility.
New data just out from Baynote and the e-tailing group underlines the importance of omni-channels for retailers. Their survey, conducted during the 2013 holidays, found 74% of shoppers used free shipping and coupon options while one-third (34%) made in-app retail purchases and said they wanted simple online shopping carts (33%). Holiday shoppers also noted they were often influenced by online ratings/reviews of products.
"This year's holiday survey clearly demonstrates that consumers, driven by millenials, are challenging retailers to deliver an exceptional experience," said Marti Tedesco, senior director of marketing, Baynote. "What is really interesting is that the smartphone has become the bridge between the online and in-store experience. This has major ramifications on the investments that retailers make in cross channel tools. As the millennial generation continues to exert its influence, retailers must respond with mobile technologies that drive a cohesive customer experience."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 60% say free shipping options, minus conditions, are 'extremely important' to their purchase decisions
• 38% say they 'always or frequently' use email promotions, 42% say they leverage flash sales
• 60% purchased via Amazon or a competitor if physical stores wouldn't price match
• 62% used smartphones in-store to compare prices, 61% redeemed mobile coupons
• 74% say on-site search is 'very/extremely important'
"Shopper expectations are at an all-time high," said Lauren Freedman, president, the e-tailing group. "This puts incredible pressure on retailers to not only keep pace with rapidly evolving technologies but to ensure these technologies are available in an easy-to-access, simple-to-use format. The truly successful companies will see this as an incredible opportunity -- one that allows them to 'wow' customers while continually gaining greater insights into their desires for more effective targeting."
The survey underlines the growing importance of experience to online/mobile shoppers - no longer is just offering free shipping the best option. Retailers need to include strong copy/images as well as user generated reviews to engage shoppers; they also need to ensure customer service is top-notch.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...