News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers want simple and mobile
Already data is pouring in from the 2013 holiday shopping season - from the increased number of people shopping via mobile, using mobile in-store to facilitate purchases and how shoppers are engaging with coupons and deals. The big takeaway: today's shoppers want simple infrastructures and mobile accessibility.
New data just out from Baynote and the e-tailing group underlines the importance of omni-channels for retailers. Their survey, conducted during the 2013 holidays, found 74% of shoppers used free shipping and coupon options while one-third (34%) made in-app retail purchases and said they wanted simple online shopping carts (33%). Holiday shoppers also noted they were often influenced by online ratings/reviews of products.
"This year's holiday survey clearly demonstrates that consumers, driven by millenials, are challenging retailers to deliver an exceptional experience," said Marti Tedesco, senior director of marketing, Baynote. "What is really interesting is that the smartphone has become the bridge between the online and in-store experience. This has major ramifications on the investments that retailers make in cross channel tools. As the millennial generation continues to exert its influence, retailers must respond with mobile technologies that drive a cohesive customer experience."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 60% say free shipping options, minus conditions, are 'extremely important' to their purchase decisions
• 38% say they 'always or frequently' use email promotions, 42% say they leverage flash sales
• 60% purchased via Amazon or a competitor if physical stores wouldn't price match
• 62% used smartphones in-store to compare prices, 61% redeemed mobile coupons
• 74% say on-site search is 'very/extremely important'
"Shopper expectations are at an all-time high," said Lauren Freedman, president, the e-tailing group. "This puts incredible pressure on retailers to not only keep pace with rapidly evolving technologies but to ensure these technologies are available in an easy-to-access, simple-to-use format. The truly successful companies will see this as an incredible opportunity -- one that allows them to 'wow' customers while continually gaining greater insights into their desires for more effective targeting."
The survey underlines the growing importance of experience to online/mobile shoppers - no longer is just offering free shipping the best option. Retailers need to include strong copy/images as well as user generated reviews to engage shoppers; they also need to ensure customer service is top-notch.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....