News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers want simple and mobile
Already data is pouring in from the 2013 holiday shopping season - from the increased number of people shopping via mobile, using mobile in-store to facilitate purchases and how shoppers are engaging with coupons and deals. The big takeaway: today's shoppers want simple infrastructures and mobile accessibility.
New data just out from Baynote and the e-tailing group underlines the importance of omni-channels for retailers. Their survey, conducted during the 2013 holidays, found 74% of shoppers used free shipping and coupon options while one-third (34%) made in-app retail purchases and said they wanted simple online shopping carts (33%). Holiday shoppers also noted they were often influenced by online ratings/reviews of products.
"This year's holiday survey clearly demonstrates that consumers, driven by millenials, are challenging retailers to deliver an exceptional experience," said Marti Tedesco, senior director of marketing, Baynote. "What is really interesting is that the smartphone has become the bridge between the online and in-store experience. This has major ramifications on the investments that retailers make in cross channel tools. As the millennial generation continues to exert its influence, retailers must respond with mobile technologies that drive a cohesive customer experience."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 60% say free shipping options, minus conditions, are 'extremely important' to their purchase decisions
• 38% say they 'always or frequently' use email promotions, 42% say they leverage flash sales
• 60% purchased via Amazon or a competitor if physical stores wouldn't price match
• 62% used smartphones in-store to compare prices, 61% redeemed mobile coupons
• 74% say on-site search is 'very/extremely important'
"Shopper expectations are at an all-time high," said Lauren Freedman, president, the e-tailing group. "This puts incredible pressure on retailers to not only keep pace with rapidly evolving technologies but to ensure these technologies are available in an easy-to-access, simple-to-use format. The truly successful companies will see this as an incredible opportunity -- one that allows them to 'wow' customers while continually gaining greater insights into their desires for more effective targeting."
The survey underlines the growing importance of experience to online/mobile shoppers - no longer is just offering free shipping the best option. Retailers need to include strong copy/images as well as user generated reviews to engage shoppers; they also need to ensure customer service is top-notch.
Image via Shutterstock
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...