News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey points to obsolete televisions within a decade
Gadgets have already replaced the goggle-box in our household and, according to new research from Irdeto presented at CES 2014, more than half of U.S. consumers believe the television could be ousted by mobile devices within the next decade.
In a survey of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and over, conducted in late December, 2013, more than half (53%) said they expect smartphones and tablets will replace the television set by 2022 and 31% think it might happen a lot soon - within one to five years.
According to Richard Frankland, Irdeto VP of Sales, Americas, "we have reached a point where not only are devices as important to consumers as televisions, but a generational clash is also occurring between the demand for live programming and over the top services".
Among younger media consumers between the ages of 18 and 24, services such as Netflix have become popular as there is a preference to watch an entire series in a short period of time instead of having to wait a week or more between episodes. A Harris Interactive survey of television streamers conducted in November, 2013, found that 61% regularly binge on television series and more than three-quarters (79%) say watching multiple episodes in one sitting makes a show more enjoyable.
Other key findings from Irdeto's survey include:
- Two-thirds (65%) prefer to watch television content live at the time of broadcast whether they watch on a mobile device or on a television;
- The majority of consumers believe Smart TV will be the device on which they watch content in the future as opposed to gaming consoles (6%), hybrid streaming devices (6%), mobile devices (5%) and dongles such as Google Chromecast (2%);
- While 16% are not interested in newer viewing technology, 18% are 'very interested' in 4K television sets and 40% 'somewhat interested'.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
- Platforms enhance mobile experience
- Few marketers plan for social media negativity
- Report highlights mobile's role in hotel customer experience
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....