News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey points to obsolete televisions within a decade
Gadgets have already replaced the goggle-box in our household and, according to new research from Irdeto presented at CES 2014, more than half of U.S. consumers believe the television could be ousted by mobile devices within the next decade.
In a survey of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and over, conducted in late December, 2013, more than half (53%) said they expect smartphones and tablets will replace the television set by 2022 and 31% think it might happen a lot soon - within one to five years.
According to Richard Frankland, Irdeto VP of Sales, Americas, "we have reached a point where not only are devices as important to consumers as televisions, but a generational clash is also occurring between the demand for live programming and over the top services".
Among younger media consumers between the ages of 18 and 24, services such as Netflix have become popular as there is a preference to watch an entire series in a short period of time instead of having to wait a week or more between episodes. A Harris Interactive survey of television streamers conducted in November, 2013, found that 61% regularly binge on television series and more than three-quarters (79%) say watching multiple episodes in one sitting makes a show more enjoyable.
Other key findings from Irdeto's survey include:
- Two-thirds (65%) prefer to watch television content live at the time of broadcast whether they watch on a mobile device or on a television;
- The majority of consumers believe Smart TV will be the device on which they watch content in the future as opposed to gaming consoles (6%), hybrid streaming devices (6%), mobile devices (5%) and dongles such as Google Chromecast (2%);
- While 16% are not interested in newer viewing technology, 18% are 'very interested' in 4K television sets and 40% 'somewhat interested'.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...