News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey points to obsolete televisions within a decade
Gadgets have already replaced the goggle-box in our household and, according to new research from Irdeto presented at CES 2014, more than half of U.S. consumers believe the television could be ousted by mobile devices within the next decade.
In a survey of 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and over, conducted in late December, 2013, more than half (53%) said they expect smartphones and tablets will replace the television set by 2022 and 31% think it might happen a lot soon - within one to five years.
According to Richard Frankland, Irdeto VP of Sales, Americas, "we have reached a point where not only are devices as important to consumers as televisions, but a generational clash is also occurring between the demand for live programming and over the top services".
Among younger media consumers between the ages of 18 and 24, services such as Netflix have become popular as there is a preference to watch an entire series in a short period of time instead of having to wait a week or more between episodes. A Harris Interactive survey of television streamers conducted in November, 2013, found that 61% regularly binge on television series and more than three-quarters (79%) say watching multiple episodes in one sitting makes a show more enjoyable.
Other key findings from Irdeto's survey include:
- Two-thirds (65%) prefer to watch television content live at the time of broadcast whether they watch on a mobile device or on a television;
- The majority of consumers believe Smart TV will be the device on which they watch content in the future as opposed to gaming consoles (6%), hybrid streaming devices (6%), mobile devices (5%) and dongles such as Google Chromecast (2%);
- While 16% are not interested in newer viewing technology, 18% are 'very interested' in 4K television sets and 40% 'somewhat interested'.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....