News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers leave 99% of products on shelves
A new study indicates shoppers are ignoring up to 99% of the products on grocery store shelves. The data, culled from a study of more than 32 million Americans, found that most are buying about 1% of the items on grocer's shelves.
"At a time of unparalleled choice in the grocery store, shoppers ignore all but a tiny fraction of available products," said Todd Morris, EVP of corporate development and marketing, Catalina. "To reach today's selective shoppers, CPG marketers need to adopt a more personalized approach to the way they market and promote their products and reward their buyers. Since no two shoppers are the same, retailers and brands should tailor their communications to the specific needs and preferences of individual shoppers and households."
Catalina's research shows that, over a one-year period, grocery shoppers purchased just 0.7% of the available products, even those who are considered 'top shoppers' and account for more than three-quarters (80%) of all store purchases. Other interesting findings include:
• On average shoppers purchase 1.7% of Dairy products
• 0.2% of Health/Beauty products
• No 2 shoppers ever purchase the same items
This, finds the researchers, is why CPG brands need to delve deeper into their customer culture to engage shoppers before they hit stores. Says one expert, "The ability to engage shoppers based on their spending habits results in a better experience for the shopper, while driving loyalty with our stores," said Rebecca Kane, vice president, customer specific marketing and digital, Ahold USA. "At Ahold, we have been investing heavily in innovative ways to engage the shopper both in and out of the store. Understanding the needs of each individual shopper is core to this strategy, and personalizing interactions from SCAN IT! Mobile to recommended savings on their screens is just one of the ways that we're providing shoppers with a better experience."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...