News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers leave 99% of products on shelves
A new study indicates shoppers are ignoring up to 99% of the products on grocery store shelves. The data, culled from a study of more than 32 million Americans, found that most are buying about 1% of the items on grocer's shelves.
"At a time of unparalleled choice in the grocery store, shoppers ignore all but a tiny fraction of available products," said Todd Morris, EVP of corporate development and marketing, Catalina. "To reach today's selective shoppers, CPG marketers need to adopt a more personalized approach to the way they market and promote their products and reward their buyers. Since no two shoppers are the same, retailers and brands should tailor their communications to the specific needs and preferences of individual shoppers and households."
Catalina's research shows that, over a one-year period, grocery shoppers purchased just 0.7% of the available products, even those who are considered 'top shoppers' and account for more than three-quarters (80%) of all store purchases. Other interesting findings include:
• On average shoppers purchase 1.7% of Dairy products
• 0.2% of Health/Beauty products
• No 2 shoppers ever purchase the same items
This, finds the researchers, is why CPG brands need to delve deeper into their customer culture to engage shoppers before they hit stores. Says one expert, "The ability to engage shoppers based on their spending habits results in a better experience for the shopper, while driving loyalty with our stores," said Rebecca Kane, vice president, customer specific marketing and digital, Ahold USA. "At Ahold, we have been investing heavily in innovative ways to engage the shopper both in and out of the store. Understanding the needs of each individual shopper is core to this strategy, and personalizing interactions from SCAN IT! Mobile to recommended savings on their screens is just one of the ways that we're providing shoppers with a better experience."
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...