News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers leave 99% of products on shelves
A new study indicates shoppers are ignoring up to 99% of the products on grocery store shelves. The data, culled from a study of more than 32 million Americans, found that most are buying about 1% of the items on grocer's shelves.
"At a time of unparalleled choice in the grocery store, shoppers ignore all but a tiny fraction of available products," said Todd Morris, EVP of corporate development and marketing, Catalina. "To reach today's selective shoppers, CPG marketers need to adopt a more personalized approach to the way they market and promote their products and reward their buyers. Since no two shoppers are the same, retailers and brands should tailor their communications to the specific needs and preferences of individual shoppers and households."
Catalina's research shows that, over a one-year period, grocery shoppers purchased just 0.7% of the available products, even those who are considered 'top shoppers' and account for more than three-quarters (80%) of all store purchases. Other interesting findings include:
• On average shoppers purchase 1.7% of Dairy products
• 0.2% of Health/Beauty products
• No 2 shoppers ever purchase the same items
This, finds the researchers, is why CPG brands need to delve deeper into their customer culture to engage shoppers before they hit stores. Says one expert, "The ability to engage shoppers based on their spending habits results in a better experience for the shopper, while driving loyalty with our stores," said Rebecca Kane, vice president, customer specific marketing and digital, Ahold USA. "At Ahold, we have been investing heavily in innovative ways to engage the shopper both in and out of the store. Understanding the needs of each individual shopper is core to this strategy, and personalizing interactions from SCAN IT! Mobile to recommended savings on their screens is just one of the ways that we're providing shoppers with a better experience."
Image via Shutterstock
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...