News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers leave 99% of products on shelves
A new study indicates shoppers are ignoring up to 99% of the products on grocery store shelves. The data, culled from a study of more than 32 million Americans, found that most are buying about 1% of the items on grocer's shelves.
"At a time of unparalleled choice in the grocery store, shoppers ignore all but a tiny fraction of available products," said Todd Morris, EVP of corporate development and marketing, Catalina. "To reach today's selective shoppers, CPG marketers need to adopt a more personalized approach to the way they market and promote their products and reward their buyers. Since no two shoppers are the same, retailers and brands should tailor their communications to the specific needs and preferences of individual shoppers and households."
Catalina's research shows that, over a one-year period, grocery shoppers purchased just 0.7% of the available products, even those who are considered 'top shoppers' and account for more than three-quarters (80%) of all store purchases. Other interesting findings include:
• On average shoppers purchase 1.7% of Dairy products
• 0.2% of Health/Beauty products
• No 2 shoppers ever purchase the same items
This, finds the researchers, is why CPG brands need to delve deeper into their customer culture to engage shoppers before they hit stores. Says one expert, "The ability to engage shoppers based on their spending habits results in a better experience for the shopper, while driving loyalty with our stores," said Rebecca Kane, vice president, customer specific marketing and digital, Ahold USA. "At Ahold, we have been investing heavily in innovative ways to engage the shopper both in and out of the store. Understanding the needs of each individual shopper is core to this strategy, and personalizing interactions from SCAN IT! Mobile to recommended savings on their screens is just one of the ways that we're providing shoppers with a better experience."
Image via Shutterstock
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...