News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shoppers leave 99% of products on shelves
A new study indicates shoppers are ignoring up to 99% of the products on grocery store shelves. The data, culled from a study of more than 32 million Americans, found that most are buying about 1% of the items on grocer's shelves.
"At a time of unparalleled choice in the grocery store, shoppers ignore all but a tiny fraction of available products," said Todd Morris, EVP of corporate development and marketing, Catalina. "To reach today's selective shoppers, CPG marketers need to adopt a more personalized approach to the way they market and promote their products and reward their buyers. Since no two shoppers are the same, retailers and brands should tailor their communications to the specific needs and preferences of individual shoppers and households."
Catalina's research shows that, over a one-year period, grocery shoppers purchased just 0.7% of the available products, even those who are considered 'top shoppers' and account for more than three-quarters (80%) of all store purchases. Other interesting findings include:
• On average shoppers purchase 1.7% of Dairy products
• 0.2% of Health/Beauty products
• No 2 shoppers ever purchase the same items
This, finds the researchers, is why CPG brands need to delve deeper into their customer culture to engage shoppers before they hit stores. Says one expert, "The ability to engage shoppers based on their spending habits results in a better experience for the shopper, while driving loyalty with our stores," said Rebecca Kane, vice president, customer specific marketing and digital, Ahold USA. "At Ahold, we have been investing heavily in innovative ways to engage the shopper both in and out of the store. Understanding the needs of each individual shopper is core to this strategy, and personalizing interactions from SCAN IT! Mobile to recommended savings on their screens is just one of the ways that we're providing shoppers with a better experience."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: New tools to track, serve ads
- How to maximize your content marketing strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...