News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Second-screeners watch on multiple devices at once
Ever wonder how engaged mobile video viewers are when they are watching? We may not be able to answer that question precisely - yet - but new data out from the CEA and NATPE indicates that while mobile viewers are watching via mobile, most (79%) are also watching television programming. What are they watching on these devices?
According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and the National Association of Television Program Executives (NATPE) nearly all of second-screeners are accessing 'asynchronous' content before or after programming or between shows. This means brands have a good opportunity to use mobile video to keep viewers interested and engaged with their shows after an airing. Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 42% of second screeners have tried to synch mobile content experience to live TV
• 13% say this synched content makes the overall experience 'much more enjoyable'
• Most say synched content is only 'somewhat more enjoyable'
• 6 in 10 say synched content is 'fun to use' or 'makes them feel more connected'
"This important research study underscores the exciting opportunities for consumer technology device manufacturers to market connected devices and potentially collaborate with content producers to enhance and improve the Second Screen experience," said CEA President and CEO Gary Shapiro. "Our joint study shows that consumers accessing synchronized content generally find it fun to use and more connected to the shows they are watching. At the same time, the study indicates there is an opportunity to expand consumer engagement with the Second Screen across a broader variety of programming."
What can content developers do to increase viewer interaction? The CEA suggests:
• Optimizing social opportunities through contests and activities
• Target parents with family-oriented content
• Optimize all content for smartphones and make synched content app-available
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...