News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Saving tops spending for most Americans
Is saving money, rather than spending it, the new black? Could be, according to a new Gallup poll which shows most (62%) Americans say they'd rather save than spend. Poll data was aggregated from 2009 to 2013.
Across income brackets between $20,000/year and $75,000/year, about one-third said they would prefer spending money. But in each bracket except the $75,000, more than 60% said saving money was their priority. It's interesting to note that the less affluent are more apt to think of saving first.
Other interesting findings from the >a href="http://ww.gallup.com">Gallup report include:
• 58% of 18 to 29 year olds and 30 to 49 year olds report 'enjoying saving'
• 60% of 50 to 64 year olds say they like to save
• 63% of those 65+ report they enjoy saving money
• Conservatives are more likely than Liberals (64% vs. 54%) to report they like saving money
Still, liking to save money doesn't automatically translate to a richer consumer base. The average American household has more than $7,000 in credit card debt while most college grads are carrying about $32,000 in student loan debt.
"It's not clear how much Americans' relatively new bullish attitudes toward savings will help change these statistics. Serious questions remain about their ability to do so successfully. In other words, saving is determined by more than simply the desire to store away money; one must also have the ability. For a sizable portion of Americans, these two aspects of their financial lives are in serious conflict," was written in the report.
Image via Shutterstock
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
- Report: Millennials spending more time with UGC
- New AdWords format includes detailed consumer opinion data
- Quarter of UK's top finance brands have no mobile website, apps
- Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
- How data will impact businesses in 2014
- Report: Social pushing coupon search, use
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....