News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals the unlikely likeability of full-screen takeover ad format
Native advertising, a format that blends in with content online, is the new darling of online marketers. But new research from Undertone shows that consumers actually like interruptive ads that take over their screens and shout in their face.
The results appear to go against the grain, yet the survey of 3,000 consumers conducted on Undertone's behalf by Ipsos ASI reveals that interruptive ad experiences - high impact ads - are liked by consumers.
In particular, despite their intrusive nature, full screen takeover ad formats were found to be 30 - 49% more likeable than standard display. This, says Undertone in their report, "is due to their interactivity and ability to hold consumers' attention".
The top three reasons consumers gave for full screen takeover ads being so likeable were "Is an ad people will talk about", "Is entertaining", and "Is unique". Most notably for brands, respondents were 78% more likely to agree that full screen takeover ads made them want to learn more about a product or company.
Undertone co-founder, Eric Franchi, wasn't surprised by the findings saying that full screen takeover ads were a format that enabled a key consideration in advertising, great creative, to shine through.
For those who might be a little skeptical that a company touting interruptive advertising would arrive at results that promote interruptive advertising, Jonathan Kadoch, Sales Director at Undertone states that "The study has already been vetted by top agency insight and analytic teams who were previously skeptical about the results".
You can download the full study findings from the Undertone website.
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...