News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Most successful Super Bowl commercials launch before Super Bowl Sunday
Sharing - videos not the nachos - is hot with Super Bowl viewers. That is the takeaway from new data out from Unruly which indicates 2013 Super Bowl ads achieved nearly double the amount of shares as those in 2012. More than 10 million ads were shared across social media, an 89% increase over 2012.
This could also indicate 2014 videos will likely have strong share ratings as well.
The Unruly report goes on to note that while most Super Bowl ads receive the bulk of shares on Super Bowl Monday ( Feb. 4, 2013; 3.3 million); that is nine times higher than sharing numbers from Super Bowl Sunday. The second highest share-day was February 5 (1.6 million shares), the Wednesday after the Super Bowl.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• In 2012 it took 57 views to make 1 share; in 2013 it took 31 views to make a share
• 3 of the top 10 most-shared Super Bowl ads (all time) are movie trailers
• 60% of the most shared Super Bowl ads were launched pre-Super Bowl Sunday
• 7 of the top 20 shared ads from the 2013 Super Bowl had teasers
"The Super Bowl is no longer just about creating a compelling :30 TV spot that will be the talked about at the office on Monday morning. With more than 500,000 shares of branded video every 24 hours [source: Unruly Viral Video Chart], the Super Bowl offers advertisers a unique opportunity to efficiently extend the reach of their Super Bowl investment and generate excitement leading up to Super Bowl Sunday and beyond," said Unruly's U.S president Richard Kosinski. "However, a lot of brands need to raise their game if they want to come away with a winner by making content that created a powerful connection with its online audience. Budweiser did just that in 2013. 'Brotherhood' really touched a nerve among its audience, who made it the third most shared Super Bowl ad of all time within just five days."
More from Unruly on Monday, including what viewers can expect from their favorite brands this year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
- Are your employees stifling yawns during status meetings?
- Survey reveals the odd places consumers shop by mobile
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...