News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Most ads ignored because they aren't relevant
It's no secret that relevance matters to consumers, and not just on a content basis. But, according to new data out from Infolinks, 60% of consumers say they don't find traditional ads relevant. The study goes on to indicate that targeting ads based on relevance and consumer intent can increase the relevance factor - helping more consumers to 'see' ads they would have looked over before.
"The simple fact is, display as we know it is broken," said Infolinks CEO Dave Zinman. "Many in the industry have turned a blind eye to the issue. We analyzed the eye movements of online users in order to understand their reactions to ads and content at a fundamental level. These findings point to fixes the industry can easily employ today. What are we waiting for?"
According to the report:
• Ads placed non-traditionally, and targeted on intent, are 'seen' more
• Non-traditionally placed ads were 'seen' 225% quicker than standard leaderboards
• Alt-placements received higher awareness and engagement rates
• Time spent with alt-placements was 100% higher than standard display placements
"This study confirms the ideals upon which we have built our business -- that advertising should be about enhancing the user experience," said Zinman. "This study makes it clear that ads that break out of the rut of traditional placement and are rooted in user intent can combat banner blindness and reverse declining consumer engagement."
What should brands do? Watch placement, first and foremost. The study suggests focusing on non-traditional ad placements. From there, target based on relevance and user intent, and base that relevance within the previous month for the highest impact. Finally, think about what the user wants from their experience and offer ads that support those experiences.
Image via Shutterstock
- Retailers can convert 'window shoppers' with real-time analytics
- Mobile use during dining experience researched
- Ad Roundup: Programmatic making strides
- Report: Mobile shoppers do it in bed
- Reports highlight what may, may not work this holiday
- Study: Shoppers don't trust traditional marketing
- Top tips to build buzz from online events
- Early success for Instagram advertising
Featured White Papers
- What should drive email Frequency
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email activity and engagement metrics across four similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email...
- The Design Advantage
Design is more than just an artistic endeavor. It is a philosophy and culture that influences every business decision. Companies...