News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Most ads ignored because they aren't relevant
It's no secret that relevance matters to consumers, and not just on a content basis. But, according to new data out from Infolinks, 60% of consumers say they don't find traditional ads relevant. The study goes on to indicate that targeting ads based on relevance and consumer intent can increase the relevance factor - helping more consumers to 'see' ads they would have looked over before.
"The simple fact is, display as we know it is broken," said Infolinks CEO Dave Zinman. "Many in the industry have turned a blind eye to the issue. We analyzed the eye movements of online users in order to understand their reactions to ads and content at a fundamental level. These findings point to fixes the industry can easily employ today. What are we waiting for?"
According to the report:
• Ads placed non-traditionally, and targeted on intent, are 'seen' more
• Non-traditionally placed ads were 'seen' 225% quicker than standard leaderboards
• Alt-placements received higher awareness and engagement rates
• Time spent with alt-placements was 100% higher than standard display placements
"This study confirms the ideals upon which we have built our business -- that advertising should be about enhancing the user experience," said Zinman. "This study makes it clear that ads that break out of the rut of traditional placement and are rooted in user intent can combat banner blindness and reverse declining consumer engagement."
What should brands do? Watch placement, first and foremost. The study suggests focusing on non-traditional ad placements. From there, target based on relevance and user intent, and base that relevance within the previous month for the highest impact. Finally, think about what the user wants from their experience and offer ads that support those experiences.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...