News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Stats in ads more convincing that celebs, finds UK survey
Brands that use celebrities to advertise their products could be missing a trick among an increasingly skeptical audience, according to recent research by Ipsos Mori for the Energy Saving Trust.
The Ipsos Mori survey of over 2,000 British consumers found that celebrities aren't as good at selling products as are statistics and supporting evidence.
While almost 6 out of 10 consumers surveyed said that backing up advertising claims with proof in the form of statistics would sway their purchase intent, just 1% cited celebrity endorsement.
The second most important was seeing advertising claims backed up by a third party or verified by a trusted organization (41%).
And yet, celebrity endorsement of products continues unabated, despite many consumers being savvy enough to realize most celebrities are swayed more by significant financial gain than for their confidence in a product.
And not all celebrities actively embrace a brand they endorse, as in the case of Alicia Keys who was found to be Tweeting from an iPhone despite a Blackberry endorsement deal, and Oprah Winfrey who Tweeted from her iPad despite endorsing Microsoft Surface.
"Clearly advertisers in the UK are suffering from an increasingly skeptical audience. The good news is that there are opportunities for organizations to start building trust with the UK public through their advertising and wider marketing," said Philip Sellwood, chief executive at the Energy Saving Trust.
"At the Energy Saving Trust, we are working with organizations to ensure that consumers are getting the right information and advice through all marketing and advertising channels, so they can make informed decisions about the right product or service for them."
Image via Shutterstock
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...