News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Scanbuy: Barcode and NFC scans rise 33% year-on-year
Barcode and NFC scans rose significantly during the last month of 2013 compared with the previous year, according to new figures released by mobile engagement solutions provider Scanbuy.
Between 22 November, 2013 and 31 December, 2013, 10.4 million mobile barcode and NFC scans were processed by Scanbuy - up 33% on the previous year. The data comes from Scanbuy's ScanLife mobile app and highlights the continuing growth in consumer mobile engagement.
The industries that saw the most scans were those in high-tech and retail, and the most popular type of content accessed via scanning were discounts, sweepstakes and app downloads. Over half (56%) of scans came via Apple iOS devices and 42% from Android.
Interestingly, males were far more likely to use a mobile device to scan - 63% versus 37%.
"The increase in mobile scans during the holiday season demonstrates a clear interest in consumers wishing to connect with their favorite brands and stores," said Mike Wehrs, CEO and president of Scanbuy.
Other findings from the Scanbuy holiday trend report include:
- The brands most liked by ScanLife users were Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Activision, Tanger Outlets and Kohl's;
- Those aged between 35 and 44 scanned the most (25%) followed by 23 to 34 (22%), 45 to 54 (19%), 55 and over (15%). The youngest age groups were also the least likely to scan with just 12% of those age between 18 and 24 and 7% of under-18s.
- Mobile users are banking on a date
- Eight in ten disappointed shoppers give retailers no chance to fix problem
- Report: BTS spending to increase
- Study: Behavioral data influencing more shoppers
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
Featured White Papers
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...