News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Scanbuy: Barcode and NFC scans rise 33% year-on-year
Barcode and NFC scans rose significantly during the last month of 2013 compared with the previous year, according to new figures released by mobile engagement solutions provider Scanbuy.
Between 22 November, 2013 and 31 December, 2013, 10.4 million mobile barcode and NFC scans were processed by Scanbuy - up 33% on the previous year. The data comes from Scanbuy's ScanLife mobile app and highlights the continuing growth in consumer mobile engagement.
The industries that saw the most scans were those in high-tech and retail, and the most popular type of content accessed via scanning were discounts, sweepstakes and app downloads. Over half (56%) of scans came via Apple iOS devices and 42% from Android.
Interestingly, males were far more likely to use a mobile device to scan - 63% versus 37%.
"The increase in mobile scans during the holiday season demonstrates a clear interest in consumers wishing to connect with their favorite brands and stores," said Mike Wehrs, CEO and president of Scanbuy.
Other findings from the Scanbuy holiday trend report include:
- The brands most liked by ScanLife users were Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Activision, Tanger Outlets and Kohl's;
- Those aged between 35 and 44 scanned the most (25%) followed by 23 to 34 (22%), 45 to 54 (19%), 55 and over (15%). The youngest age groups were also the least likely to scan with just 12% of those age between 18 and 24 and 7% of under-18s.
- H1 2016's most-used and most-downloaded apps
- Gen Z's in-store expectations - the next challenge for retailers
- Brands: Why revenue based loyalty programs are a better draw
- Retail Roundup: Coupons key for all shoppers
- Study: In-game ads pushing engagement
- Expert: Why branded content appeals to consumers
- Reports: M:Comm up, privacy concerns abound
- Expert: What Pokemon Go phenomena means for businesses
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...