News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Responsive design not used by world's top airlines
While many of the world's top airlines have a dedicated mobile website, not a single one is using responsive design, according to new research from digital agency 8 Million Stories.
Research conducted by travel event 'Travel Technology Europe' found that most travel firms (83%) expect to spend more on new technology this year. In particular, 72% of that increased spend will be directed at mobile.
One has to wonder if the airlines will be investing in responsive design because, according to 8 Million Stories, not one has implemented responsive design, despite it being Google's top recommendation for mobile.
Out of the UK's top 11 airlines, just one - Thomas Cook Airlines - uses responsive design. Implemented in November last year, conversions from the newly designed flythomascook.com website have already risen by over 30%.
According to 8 Million Stories, there are multiple reasons why airlines have been slow to adopt responsive design.
"It isn't always that simple for airlines to implement," says Simon Heyes, strategy and marketing director of 8 Million Stories. "Scheduling IT and development time, aligning web change schedules, realigning and changing current booking systems are all factors that prevent many airlines diving into responsive design."
Image via Shutterstock
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
- BrightEdge: Brands are missing consumer engagement with content
- Experts weigh in on the death of Flash
- Study finds payment issues top affiliates' complaint list
- Study: Indian mobile use skyrocketing
- How travel brands can stop fraud
- Cart abandonment rates lower for charities than other sectors
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...