News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Responsive design not used by world's top airlines
While many of the world's top airlines have a dedicated mobile website, not a single one is using responsive design, according to new research from digital agency 8 Million Stories.
Research conducted by travel event 'Travel Technology Europe' found that most travel firms (83%) expect to spend more on new technology this year. In particular, 72% of that increased spend will be directed at mobile.
One has to wonder if the airlines will be investing in responsive design because, according to 8 Million Stories, not one has implemented responsive design, despite it being Google's top recommendation for mobile.
Out of the UK's top 11 airlines, just one - Thomas Cook Airlines - uses responsive design. Implemented in November last year, conversions from the newly designed flythomascook.com website have already risen by over 30%.
According to 8 Million Stories, there are multiple reasons why airlines have been slow to adopt responsive design.
"It isn't always that simple for airlines to implement," says Simon Heyes, strategy and marketing director of 8 Million Stories. "Scheduling IT and development time, aligning web change schedules, realigning and changing current booking systems are all factors that prevent many airlines diving into responsive design."
Image via Shutterstock
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...