News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Facebook dominates, others catching up
Facebook is the grandfather of the social networking space, at this point, and it's still a dominant force. But, according to new data from the Global Web Index, other social networks are catching up to Facebook.
According to the Global Web Index Social: Q4 2013 report just over 80% of the global Internet audience holds a Facebook membership; about half that number is considered 'active' Facebookers. Of those 'active' Facebookers about 55% visit the site more than once per day; about 60% of iOS users are considered 'active' on Facebook.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Instagram, Reddit and LinkedIn saw their activity numbers surge in Q4
• Social app use is on the rise - 68% of Facebookers use mobile apps, 57% of YouTubers and 35% of Google+ users use social apps
• The 25-34 year old demographic has the largest hold on social networks
"Many in this older group joined the platforms in question some years ago and have remained active users ever since; essentially, membership bases for some of the most well-established networks are ageing," was written in the report. "16-24s are ahead only on YouTube, Instagram and Tumblr...This reflects the enthusiasm with which the youngest networkers are embracing newer networks together with their slight movement away from the longer-established platforms."
As for how social networks are staying connected, mobile is quickly becoming the hot connection point. While mobile social networks are still technically a minority, it's interesting to note that some of the most active social networkers are accessing their networks via mobile devices and apps.
Only about 10% of global online users aren't on any social networks.
Image via Shutterstock
- Trends to watch for back-to-school
- Expert shares integration tips for cloud
- How machine learning can impact subscription service offerings
- Expert: How to know if the cloud is right for your business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting, Payments and Data
- Studies highlight importance of location, relevance
- SMBs: New labor laws could impact revenue lines
- Ad Roundup: Mobile, video and ecommerce
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...