News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Facebook dominates, others catching up
Facebook is the grandfather of the social networking space, at this point, and it's still a dominant force. But, according to new data from the Global Web Index, other social networks are catching up to Facebook.
According to the Global Web Index Social: Q4 2013 report just over 80% of the global Internet audience holds a Facebook membership; about half that number is considered 'active' Facebookers. Of those 'active' Facebookers about 55% visit the site more than once per day; about 60% of iOS users are considered 'active' on Facebook.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Instagram, Reddit and LinkedIn saw their activity numbers surge in Q4
• Social app use is on the rise - 68% of Facebookers use mobile apps, 57% of YouTubers and 35% of Google+ users use social apps
• The 25-34 year old demographic has the largest hold on social networks
"Many in this older group joined the platforms in question some years ago and have remained active users ever since; essentially, membership bases for some of the most well-established networks are ageing," was written in the report. "16-24s are ahead only on YouTube, Instagram and Tumblr...This reflects the enthusiasm with which the youngest networkers are embracing newer networks together with their slight movement away from the longer-established platforms."
As for how social networks are staying connected, mobile is quickly becoming the hot connection point. While mobile social networks are still technically a minority, it's interesting to note that some of the most active social networkers are accessing their networks via mobile devices and apps.
Only about 10% of global online users aren't on any social networks.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....