News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Facebook dominates, others catching up
Facebook is the grandfather of the social networking space, at this point, and it's still a dominant force. But, according to new data from the Global Web Index, other social networks are catching up to Facebook.
According to the Global Web Index Social: Q4 2013 report just over 80% of the global Internet audience holds a Facebook membership; about half that number is considered 'active' Facebookers. Of those 'active' Facebookers about 55% visit the site more than once per day; about 60% of iOS users are considered 'active' on Facebook.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Instagram, Reddit and LinkedIn saw their activity numbers surge in Q4
• Social app use is on the rise - 68% of Facebookers use mobile apps, 57% of YouTubers and 35% of Google+ users use social apps
• The 25-34 year old demographic has the largest hold on social networks
"Many in this older group joined the platforms in question some years ago and have remained active users ever since; essentially, membership bases for some of the most well-established networks are ageing," was written in the report. "16-24s are ahead only on YouTube, Instagram and Tumblr...This reflects the enthusiasm with which the youngest networkers are embracing newer networks together with their slight movement away from the longer-established platforms."
As for how social networks are staying connected, mobile is quickly becoming the hot connection point. While mobile social networks are still technically a minority, it's interesting to note that some of the most active social networkers are accessing their networks via mobile devices and apps.
Only about 10% of global online users aren't on any social networks.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...