News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Biggest winners for 2013 holidays are mobile, email
Social commerce may have been a disappointment over the 2013 holiday season, but it won't always be so. While social networks were responsible for only about 2% of total ecommerce some experts believe social commerce will begin making a difference over the next four years. In the meantime, here's how retailers made bank in 2013:
Overall, 2013 holiday ecommerce was up 12% Year over Year, but that isn't where the data stops. Custora's Pulse report underlines some trends over the holidays that could help retailers push engagement and conversion rates throughout 2014.
First, don't forget email - and search. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 about 40% of ecommerce orders began with Organic or Paid Search results (26% Organic, 15% Paid) while another 16% were helped along by email messaging.
As for who is clicking most, Midwesterners, specifically shoppers in Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska, saw some of the highest growth rates (18%) over the holiday season.
"Mature markets grew at a slower pace, with California sales growing only 6% vs 2012, and New York revenue actually shrinking 2% over last year," writes Custora.
Second, mobile is becoming more important than ever.
"The share of mobile purchases grew by 50% this holiday season," writes Custora. "Almost one in three purchases was made on a mobile devices - phone or tablet - during the holiday season, up from one in five in 2012."
Finally, shoppers are turning to PC-based as well as mobile-based browsing more and more. Custora's research shows that, while overall spending growth was about 4% during the holidays, ecommerce growth shot up by 12% (2012 vs. 2013). This is a strong indicator that retailers need online as well as offline paths to purchase.
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...