News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Biggest winners for 2013 holidays are mobile, email
Social commerce may have been a disappointment over the 2013 holiday season, but it won't always be so. While social networks were responsible for only about 2% of total ecommerce some experts believe social commerce will begin making a difference over the next four years. In the meantime, here's how retailers made bank in 2013:
Overall, 2013 holiday ecommerce was up 12% Year over Year, but that isn't where the data stops. Custora's Pulse report underlines some trends over the holidays that could help retailers push engagement and conversion rates throughout 2014.
First, don't forget email - and search. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 about 40% of ecommerce orders began with Organic or Paid Search results (26% Organic, 15% Paid) while another 16% were helped along by email messaging.
As for who is clicking most, Midwesterners, specifically shoppers in Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska, saw some of the highest growth rates (18%) over the holiday season.
"Mature markets grew at a slower pace, with California sales growing only 6% vs 2012, and New York revenue actually shrinking 2% over last year," writes Custora.
Second, mobile is becoming more important than ever.
"The share of mobile purchases grew by 50% this holiday season," writes Custora. "Almost one in three purchases was made on a mobile devices - phone or tablet - during the holiday season, up from one in five in 2012."
Finally, shoppers are turning to PC-based as well as mobile-based browsing more and more. Custora's research shows that, while overall spending growth was about 4% during the holidays, ecommerce growth shot up by 12% (2012 vs. 2013). This is a strong indicator that retailers need online as well as offline paths to purchase.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...