News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Biggest winners for 2013 holidays are mobile, email
Social commerce may have been a disappointment over the 2013 holiday season, but it won't always be so. While social networks were responsible for only about 2% of total ecommerce some experts believe social commerce will begin making a difference over the next four years. In the meantime, here's how retailers made bank in 2013:
Overall, 2013 holiday ecommerce was up 12% Year over Year, but that isn't where the data stops. Custora's Pulse report underlines some trends over the holidays that could help retailers push engagement and conversion rates throughout 2014.
First, don't forget email - and search. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 about 40% of ecommerce orders began with Organic or Paid Search results (26% Organic, 15% Paid) while another 16% were helped along by email messaging.
As for who is clicking most, Midwesterners, specifically shoppers in Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska, saw some of the highest growth rates (18%) over the holiday season.
"Mature markets grew at a slower pace, with California sales growing only 6% vs 2012, and New York revenue actually shrinking 2% over last year," writes Custora.
Second, mobile is becoming more important than ever.
"The share of mobile purchases grew by 50% this holiday season," writes Custora. "Almost one in three purchases was made on a mobile devices - phone or tablet - during the holiday season, up from one in five in 2012."
Finally, shoppers are turning to PC-based as well as mobile-based browsing more and more. Custora's research shows that, while overall spending growth was about 4% during the holidays, ecommerce growth shot up by 12% (2012 vs. 2013). This is a strong indicator that retailers need online as well as offline paths to purchase.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...