News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Biggest winners for 2013 holidays are mobile, email
Social commerce may have been a disappointment over the 2013 holiday season, but it won't always be so. While social networks were responsible for only about 2% of total ecommerce some experts believe social commerce will begin making a difference over the next four years. In the meantime, here's how retailers made bank in 2013:
Overall, 2013 holiday ecommerce was up 12% Year over Year, but that isn't where the data stops. Custora's Pulse report underlines some trends over the holidays that could help retailers push engagement and conversion rates throughout 2014.
First, don't forget email - and search. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2013 about 40% of ecommerce orders began with Organic or Paid Search results (26% Organic, 15% Paid) while another 16% were helped along by email messaging.
As for who is clicking most, Midwesterners, specifically shoppers in Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska, saw some of the highest growth rates (18%) over the holiday season.
"Mature markets grew at a slower pace, with California sales growing only 6% vs 2012, and New York revenue actually shrinking 2% over last year," writes Custora.
Second, mobile is becoming more important than ever.
"The share of mobile purchases grew by 50% this holiday season," writes Custora. "Almost one in three purchases was made on a mobile devices - phone or tablet - during the holiday season, up from one in five in 2012."
Finally, shoppers are turning to PC-based as well as mobile-based browsing more and more. Custora's research shows that, while overall spending growth was about 4% during the holidays, ecommerce growth shot up by 12% (2012 vs. 2013). This is a strong indicator that retailers need online as well as offline paths to purchase.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...