News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Prediction: More businesses will take ad dollars local
Look for more national brands to invest in local marketing. That is the takeaway from a new Balihoo report. The research shows more than three-quarters (85%) of national brands plan to either maintain their existing local spend or increase it over the next year.
"Research shows that consumers prefer buying products and services in their local markets," said Susan Tormollen, VP of Marketing at Balihoo. "With nearly 75% of all brands investing in local marketing, we expect to see more of these brands embracing the partners and technologies that enable them to scale their national campaigns to local markets. Activating local websites, SEO strategies, and other digital local tactics leads to increased returns on a national brand's ability to capture consumers and direct them to a desired place of purchase."
According to the Balihoo report, Shifting from Awareness to Execution: How Brands Can Execute National Campaigns at Scale, most brands believe local websites are 'essential' to their business plan (76%). The big issues comes with this: only about 22% are actually prioritizing local websites in their local strategy. Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Locally-targeted SEO is a stumbling block - 71% say it is 'essential' yet only 18% prioritize local SEO
• Mobile is also seen as 'essential' to brands' marketing mix but is only prioritized by about 19%
• 5% say traditional media like local radio, newspaper or billboards are 'essential' to their campaign efforts
Meanwhile about one-third of brands responding to the study think their campaign efforts are 'very effective' at engaging customers or directing them to local businesses carrying the brands' products.
The report also indicates that the smaller the brand, even on a national scale, the more likely they are to leave marketing efforts up to local businesses; larger brands are more likely to take all marketing efforts - even local marketing - into their own hands.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Why brands should consider the subscription box
- Retail trends to watch for 2017
- Expert: Tips for a more productive 2017
- Consumers more likely to click on ads featuring user-generated photography
- Personalized offers on mobile drive consumers in-store
- Marketers prioritizing social media for product launches
- Reports: Mobile hot but not everyone is buying
- Ad Roundup: Acquisition, launch to add layers of control
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...