News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Prediction: More businesses will take ad dollars local
Look for more national brands to invest in local marketing. That is the takeaway from a new Balihoo report. The research shows more than three-quarters (85%) of national brands plan to either maintain their existing local spend or increase it over the next year.
"Research shows that consumers prefer buying products and services in their local markets," said Susan Tormollen, VP of Marketing at Balihoo. "With nearly 75% of all brands investing in local marketing, we expect to see more of these brands embracing the partners and technologies that enable them to scale their national campaigns to local markets. Activating local websites, SEO strategies, and other digital local tactics leads to increased returns on a national brand's ability to capture consumers and direct them to a desired place of purchase."
According to the Balihoo report, Shifting from Awareness to Execution: How Brands Can Execute National Campaigns at Scale, most brands believe local websites are 'essential' to their business plan (76%). The big issues comes with this: only about 22% are actually prioritizing local websites in their local strategy. Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Locally-targeted SEO is a stumbling block - 71% say it is 'essential' yet only 18% prioritize local SEO
• Mobile is also seen as 'essential' to brands' marketing mix but is only prioritized by about 19%
• 5% say traditional media like local radio, newspaper or billboards are 'essential' to their campaign efforts
Meanwhile about one-third of brands responding to the study think their campaign efforts are 'very effective' at engaging customers or directing them to local businesses carrying the brands' products.
The report also indicates that the smaller the brand, even on a national scale, the more likely they are to leave marketing efforts up to local businesses; larger brands are more likely to take all marketing efforts - even local marketing - into their own hands.
Image via Shutterstock
- The effect of clutter on ad gaze time and viewability
- Women in UK leading the way in mobile shopping
- Today's consumers want more from loyalty programs
- Expert: MCommerce nearing tipping point
- Merchants: How to make wishlists work for you
- Top 3 tips to better source loyalty data
- 57% of consumers do not trust a business with their data
- 39% turn blind eye to branded social media posts
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...