News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Placed: Showrooming now mainstream in auto sector
It's no secret that an increasing number of consumers are taking their mobiles into grocery and big box stores as well as the local mall while shopping to comparison shop. In many categories that number of consumers is still relatively small - but not in auto. According to new Placed data, showrooming is mainstream in the automotive sector.
The data shows that most (81%) of auto shoppers are using smartphones to research vehicle purchases; 63% are using mobiles while at the dealership. About one-quarter of those researching via mobile pre-purchase are using only their mobiles to do said research.
"In the same way online advertising revolutionized the automotive retail industry over the past decade, mobile shopping has exploded in just the past year, fundamentally changing the way dealers need to engage with customers," said Alex Vetter, senior vice president at Cars.com, which commissioned the study. "Retailers should take immediate action to make mobile a cornerstone of their marketing strategy or risk losing out to mobile-savvy competitors."
"There's been similar research around showrooming across other retail categories, but this is the first time anyone has been able to look quantitatively at mobile consumer behavior within automotive with this level of detail," said David Shim, Founder and CEO at Placed. "A vehicle is one of the largest retail purchases a consumer makes, so it's understandable that shoppers use every resource available - including their smartphone - to make what is often a very complex, calculated decision."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 33% of auto buyers say they've been influenced to switch dealerships by mobile ads
• 72% of auto showroomers are 'more likely to visit' multiple dealerships than non-smartphone users
• 52% of those who visit multiple lots do so because of the research found via mobile
While on the lot, most mobile showroomers are calculating prices/payments or confirming a vehicle is available at their preferred lot. Many are also comparing prices between dealerships.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Email and experience tools
- RichRelevance: Site Search key for shoppers
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...