News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Online retailers plan physical presence on Britain's high streets
The Internet has long been blamed for the demise of bricks-and-mortar stores but, according to the results of a recent study by the Royal Mail in the UK, some small online retailers have plans to head to the high street.
Of the 406 small online retailers surveyed by the Royal Mail, 16% said they plan to open a physical store this year, or at the very least find space within an existing store from which to sell their wares.
The reason, says Nick Landon, managing director of Royal Mail Parcels, is that small online retailers are looking to exploit as many channels as possible, including online marketplace listings and physical stores. In total, 40% of the UK's small- to medium-sized online retailers are planning to start trading from new channels in the coming 12 months to increase sales.
With so many empty stores littering the UK, small businesses may well be able to bag a bargain, comments the Financial Times.
"A glut of empty shops on the high street means small businesses can often extract favorable terms from landlords," writes the FT's Duncan Robinson. "Often this will involve a low rent, as well as a flexible short-term lease, letting retailers shut up shop quickly - and cheaply - if things do not go according to plan."
More than half of the online retailers surveyed (54%) said competition for online shoppers is "more intense" than in previous years. Almost 60% said this was due to the sheer number of websites and choice available with customer price sensitivity the main driver of competition. In fact, competitive pricing has overtaken expanding product ranges as a top priority for increasing customer satisfaction.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...