News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More retailers use 'Pin It' than Facebook 'Like' button
New research from social analytics firm 8thBridge reveals that retailers prefer to 'Pin' products than apply Facebook's 'Like' button.
In their analysis of 872 shopping portals during the second half of 2013, 8thBridge found that nearly all (86%) plan to redesign websites to add social shopping features.
"Social Commerce has rapidly changed from ecommerce transactions on social networks to focus on empowering people to discover new product ideas from each other while they shop with the brands they love," says Wade Gerten, CEO of 8thBridge.
"The launching of social discovery and curation solutions this year by some of the world's largest retailers, Toys"R"Us, eBay, Walmart, Target, and Amazon, is a strong indication that on-site social discovery has gone mainstream," added Gerten.
However, the research also found that Facebook is falling out of favor in the wake of Pinterest's popularity. During the study period, more retailers used the Pinterest Pin (62%) than Facebook's equivalent 'Like' (59%).
As if that wasn't bad news enough for Facebook, even users are shunning the social network when engaging with brands. While almost all (99%) of brands involved in the 8thBridge research had a Facebook Page, the influence of those Pages appeared to be falling. Similarly user engagement, in terms of posts and Likes on brand pages, was down 27% on the previous year.
'Pin It' vs. 'Like' - do you have a preference?
Image via Shutterstock
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...