News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile devices biggest security risk to companies in 2014
Companies with employees working via mobile while on the move are realizing that mobile is perhaps the biggest security risk to their IT networks, according to a new study by the Ponemon Institute and endpoint management and security firm Lumension.
Three-quarters of IT security professionals say that mobile devices will cause the biggest IT headaches and threats to companies' security this year, up from 9% three years ago.
"We've seen the threat landscape fundamentally change over the last five years," said Dr. Larry Ponemon, commenting on the fifth annual State of the Endpoint study. "Trending data shows increasing concern, year over year, over the explosion of mobile devices on the network. It's now IT's greatest risk. And unfortunately, 46% of our respondents report no efforts are in place to secure them."
The study 676 IT and IT security practitioners with involvement in endpoint security also revealed that 68% said their mobile devices had been a target of malware in the past year, yet nearly half don't manage employee-owned devices.
"According to these knowledgeable respondents, endpoint security risk is more difficult to manage than ever," said Dr. Ponemon. "The reason is the growing number of employees and other insiders using multiple mobile devices in the workplace, followed by the increase in personal devices connected to the network and the growing popularity of public cloud services such as Dropbox."
Image via Shutterstock
- Videos best for Facebook reach, but don't ditch the photos
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...