News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile devices biggest security risk to companies in 2014
Companies with employees working via mobile while on the move are realizing that mobile is perhaps the biggest security risk to their IT networks, according to a new study by the Ponemon Institute and endpoint management and security firm Lumension.
Three-quarters of IT security professionals say that mobile devices will cause the biggest IT headaches and threats to companies' security this year, up from 9% three years ago.
"We've seen the threat landscape fundamentally change over the last five years," said Dr. Larry Ponemon, commenting on the fifth annual State of the Endpoint study. "Trending data shows increasing concern, year over year, over the explosion of mobile devices on the network. It's now IT's greatest risk. And unfortunately, 46% of our respondents report no efforts are in place to secure them."
The study 676 IT and IT security practitioners with involvement in endpoint security also revealed that 68% said their mobile devices had been a target of malware in the past year, yet nearly half don't manage employee-owned devices.
"According to these knowledgeable respondents, endpoint security risk is more difficult to manage than ever," said Dr. Ponemon. "The reason is the growing number of employees and other insiders using multiple mobile devices in the workplace, followed by the increase in personal devices connected to the network and the growing popularity of public cloud services such as Dropbox."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
- New Zealand passes law criminalizing cyberbullying
- U.K.: Marketers concerned about keeping pace with marketing technology
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...