News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile devices biggest security risk to companies in 2014
Companies with employees working via mobile while on the move are realizing that mobile is perhaps the biggest security risk to their IT networks, according to a new study by the Ponemon Institute and endpoint management and security firm Lumension.
Three-quarters of IT security professionals say that mobile devices will cause the biggest IT headaches and threats to companies' security this year, up from 9% three years ago.
"We've seen the threat landscape fundamentally change over the last five years," said Dr. Larry Ponemon, commenting on the fifth annual State of the Endpoint study. "Trending data shows increasing concern, year over year, over the explosion of mobile devices on the network. It's now IT's greatest risk. And unfortunately, 46% of our respondents report no efforts are in place to secure them."
The study 676 IT and IT security practitioners with involvement in endpoint security also revealed that 68% said their mobile devices had been a target of malware in the past year, yet nearly half don't manage employee-owned devices.
"According to these knowledgeable respondents, endpoint security risk is more difficult to manage than ever," said Dr. Ponemon. "The reason is the growing number of employees and other insiders using multiple mobile devices in the workplace, followed by the increase in personal devices connected to the network and the growing popularity of public cloud services such as Dropbox."
Image via Shutterstock
- Millennials losing faith in traditional banks, trust tech firms more
- Report finds 'last mile' issues continue to dismay consumers
- Consumer satisfaction with mobile commerce falling
- YouTube wants agencies to learn from their top creators
- Search marketing taking back seat as proving ROI challenging
- Study: Video big influencer for some voters
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships underscore importance of connection
- Study: Digital driving calls to businesses
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...