News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennial, Boomer shoppers more alike than you might think
Millennial and Boomer shoppers are more alike than previously thought, according to new research published by Radius Global Market Research, with both comfortable conducting online research and using social media.
Millennials (age 18-32) and Boomers (age 49-67) may be generations apart but when it comes to shopping using new technology and media they are not as different as many might think.
In fact, the vast majority of both Millennials (90%) and Boomers (86%) regularly research products online. The differences lies in the way in which information is accessed. Millennials are more likely to research via smartphone (60%) whereas Boomers are twice as likely to research in newspapers and magazines (38%).
Millennials rank word-of-mouth highly for product recommendations whereas Boomers are swayed more by advertising and sales representatives.
Both age groups have similar concerns when making purchases with both focusing primarily on quality or price/value and both preferring to purchase travel online. Here the difference lie in those items they deem a priority. Millennials put travel and apparel at the top of their list for increased spending this year while Boomers are more focused on necessities such as packaged foods and insurance.
When it comes to the use of social media, both Millennials and Boomers are using the channel with female Millennials and Boomers using Facebook at an almost identical rate (90%).
"While it is beneficial to understand the similarities and differences between generational groups, it is also important for marketers to look beyond these over-arching categories," says Lesley Books, Radius GMR Senior Vice President. "Nuances such as gender require at least as much attention when it comes to engaging both Boomers and Millennials."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...