News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
MdotLabs reveals botnet impression fraud threat to advertisers and publishers
A warning to advertisers, ad networks and publishers has been issued by media security platform MdotLabs regarding an impression fraud threat from the Athena botnet.
The Athena botnet has been around for some time. However, new information from MdotLabs reveals its threat to advertisers and publishers.
According to MdotLabs, while traditional security firms have discussed the Athena threat at length, none have addressed the impression fraud modules uncovered by MdotLabs.
The Athena botnet is a "formidable threat for standard viewability detection methods", says Kevin Springborn, MdotLabs Chief Architect. Since IP addresses of the fraudulent ad views come from live but infected machines, IP blacklists are limited in their scope.
Furthermore, because an infected user's Internet Explorer browser is used, including that user's history, cookies and profile, "a user with a long history of conversions and a well-defined profile could be inadvertently driving fraudulent views alongside their normal Internet usage".
"While the user interface is quite crude, it's unfortunately all too easy to use Athena to 'rent' infected computers and direct their browsing activity for the purposes of falsely inflating clicks or impressions, says Timur Yarnall, CEO of MdotLabs. "Advertisers and publishers should not only take safeguards to protect against this type of activity but also use the Athena release as a chance to learn first-hand how botnets operate."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...