News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
MdotLabs reveals botnet impression fraud threat to advertisers and publishers
A warning to advertisers, ad networks and publishers has been issued by media security platform MdotLabs regarding an impression fraud threat from the Athena botnet.
The Athena botnet has been around for some time. However, new information from MdotLabs reveals its threat to advertisers and publishers.
According to MdotLabs, while traditional security firms have discussed the Athena threat at length, none have addressed the impression fraud modules uncovered by MdotLabs.
The Athena botnet is a "formidable threat for standard viewability detection methods", says Kevin Springborn, MdotLabs Chief Architect. Since IP addresses of the fraudulent ad views come from live but infected machines, IP blacklists are limited in their scope.
Furthermore, because an infected user's Internet Explorer browser is used, including that user's history, cookies and profile, "a user with a long history of conversions and a well-defined profile could be inadvertently driving fraudulent views alongside their normal Internet usage".
"While the user interface is quite crude, it's unfortunately all too easy to use Athena to 'rent' infected computers and direct their browsing activity for the purposes of falsely inflating clicks or impressions, says Timur Yarnall, CEO of MdotLabs. "Advertisers and publishers should not only take safeguards to protect against this type of activity but also use the Athena release as a chance to learn first-hand how botnets operate."
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....