News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
MdotLabs reveals botnet impression fraud threat to advertisers and publishers
A warning to advertisers, ad networks and publishers has been issued by media security platform MdotLabs regarding an impression fraud threat from the Athena botnet.
The Athena botnet has been around for some time. However, new information from MdotLabs reveals its threat to advertisers and publishers.
According to MdotLabs, while traditional security firms have discussed the Athena threat at length, none have addressed the impression fraud modules uncovered by MdotLabs.
The Athena botnet is a "formidable threat for standard viewability detection methods", says Kevin Springborn, MdotLabs Chief Architect. Since IP addresses of the fraudulent ad views come from live but infected machines, IP blacklists are limited in their scope.
Furthermore, because an infected user's Internet Explorer browser is used, including that user's history, cookies and profile, "a user with a long history of conversions and a well-defined profile could be inadvertently driving fraudulent views alongside their normal Internet usage".
"While the user interface is quite crude, it's unfortunately all too easy to use Athena to 'rent' infected computers and direct their browsing activity for the purposes of falsely inflating clicks or impressions, says Timur Yarnall, CEO of MdotLabs. "Advertisers and publishers should not only take safeguards to protect against this type of activity but also use the Athena release as a chance to learn first-hand how botnets operate."
Image via Shutterstock
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
- Online shoppers overwhelmed by choice
- Smartwatches: time for a new ad format
- Translation challenges stymying online communication
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...