News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Manta: SMBs not in favor of minimum wage hike
This week President Obama addresses a proposed minimum wage hike, and while the debate still rages small businesses are weighing in - slightly on the side of not raising minimum wages.
CNN Money and Manta collaborated to survey more than 1,200 small businesses between January 21 and 23; their data shows that slightly more SMBs are in favor of no minimum wage hike than those who are in favor of raising wages (49% vs. 44%); about 7% of SMBs said they were unsure about raising minimum wages.
Here's what President Obama had to say about income inequality: "Today, after four years of economic growth, corporate profits and stock prices have rarely been higher, and those at the top have never done better. But average wages have barely budged. Inequality has deepened. Upward mobility has stalled. The cold, hard fact is that even in the midst of recovery, too many Americans are working more than ever just to get by -- let alone get ahead. And too many still aren't working at all."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 55% of SMBs surveyed said they have employees who are paid more than $10.10 per hour
• 26% said raising the minimum wage would cause them to cut back on employees or hours
• 48% said a raised federal minimum wage would not cause them to make any changes to their business
• 32% said raising the federal minimum wage would cause them to raise prices
Most (77%) said they didn't believe raising the federal minimum wage would boost demand for their products.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Take a page from the Genius Bar to improve CSR
- Report: Welcome messages on the rise
- Top 3 tips to create a stronger data strategy
- Study finds more people unwilling to share data
- Study: Internet speeds up globally
- Study IDs how Millennials engage with traditional media
- Report: Half of online buys happen after an hour
- Expert: Why real time isn't fast enough
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...