News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Manta: SMBs not in favor of minimum wage hike
This week President Obama addresses a proposed minimum wage hike, and while the debate still rages small businesses are weighing in - slightly on the side of not raising minimum wages.
CNN Money and Manta collaborated to survey more than 1,200 small businesses between January 21 and 23; their data shows that slightly more SMBs are in favor of no minimum wage hike than those who are in favor of raising wages (49% vs. 44%); about 7% of SMBs said they were unsure about raising minimum wages.
Here's what President Obama had to say about income inequality: "Today, after four years of economic growth, corporate profits and stock prices have rarely been higher, and those at the top have never done better. But average wages have barely budged. Inequality has deepened. Upward mobility has stalled. The cold, hard fact is that even in the midst of recovery, too many Americans are working more than ever just to get by -- let alone get ahead. And too many still aren't working at all."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 55% of SMBs surveyed said they have employees who are paid more than $10.10 per hour
• 26% said raising the minimum wage would cause them to cut back on employees or hours
• 48% said a raised federal minimum wage would not cause them to make any changes to their business
• 32% said raising the federal minimum wage would cause them to raise prices
Most (77%) said they didn't believe raising the federal minimum wage would boost demand for their products.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Why brands should consider the subscription box
- Retail trends to watch for 2017
- Expert: Tips for a more productive 2017
- Consumers more likely to click on ads featuring user-generated photography
- Personalized offers on mobile drive consumers in-store
- Marketers prioritizing social media for product launches
- Reports: Mobile hot but not everyone is buying
- Ad Roundup: Acquisition, launch to add layers of control
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...