News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Little evidence' youngsters shunning Facebook
Global research into the popularity of Facebook reveals that the social network is far from 'dead and buried' as suggested by an earlier article by Professor Daniel Miller of University College, London. Instead, it remains as popular and dominant as ever.
According to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic news website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
However, a newer and bigger study by GlobalWebIndex reveals that the social network remains as popular as ever among the younger generations.
"While teen usage of Facebook has seen a small decline, there is strikingly little evidence to suggest that UCL's findings are representative of broader trends," says Tom Smith, founder and chief executive at London- and Singapore-based GlobalWebIndex.
Their research, based on 170,000 online interviews per year across 32 countries, found that Facebook is, by far, the dominant and most-popular social network in the world. It has 67% more teenage users than its nearest competitor, YouTube (29%), and is used by almost half (48.5%) of 16 to 19-year-olds globally on a monthly basis.
GlobalWebIndex's research also shows that Facebook continues to be the top social network in terms of active users, frequency of use and number of accounts, despite a 3% drop in active usage between Q2 and Q4 2013.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...