News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Little evidence' youngsters shunning Facebook
Global research into the popularity of Facebook reveals that the social network is far from 'dead and buried' as suggested by an earlier article by Professor Daniel Miller of University College, London. Instead, it remains as popular and dominant as ever.
According to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic news website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
However, a newer and bigger study by GlobalWebIndex reveals that the social network remains as popular as ever among the younger generations.
"While teen usage of Facebook has seen a small decline, there is strikingly little evidence to suggest that UCL's findings are representative of broader trends," says Tom Smith, founder and chief executive at London- and Singapore-based GlobalWebIndex.
Their research, based on 170,000 online interviews per year across 32 countries, found that Facebook is, by far, the dominant and most-popular social network in the world. It has 67% more teenage users than its nearest competitor, YouTube (29%), and is used by almost half (48.5%) of 16 to 19-year-olds globally on a monthly basis.
GlobalWebIndex's research also shows that Facebook continues to be the top social network in terms of active users, frequency of use and number of accounts, despite a 3% drop in active usage between Q2 and Q4 2013.
Image via Shutterstock
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
- Online shoppers overwhelmed by choice
- Smartwatches: time for a new ad format
- Translation challenges stymying online communication
- Mobile Roundup: Commerce, security options released
- Playlists the perfect target for brands on Spotify
- 25% of SMBs have no website
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...