News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Little evidence' youngsters shunning Facebook
Global research into the popularity of Facebook reveals that the social network is far from 'dead and buried' as suggested by an earlier article by Professor Daniel Miller of University College, London. Instead, it remains as popular and dominant as ever.
According to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic news website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
However, a newer and bigger study by GlobalWebIndex reveals that the social network remains as popular as ever among the younger generations.
"While teen usage of Facebook has seen a small decline, there is strikingly little evidence to suggest that UCL's findings are representative of broader trends," says Tom Smith, founder and chief executive at London- and Singapore-based GlobalWebIndex.
Their research, based on 170,000 online interviews per year across 32 countries, found that Facebook is, by far, the dominant and most-popular social network in the world. It has 67% more teenage users than its nearest competitor, YouTube (29%), and is used by almost half (48.5%) of 16 to 19-year-olds globally on a monthly basis.
GlobalWebIndex's research also shows that Facebook continues to be the top social network in terms of active users, frequency of use and number of accounts, despite a 3% drop in active usage between Q2 and Q4 2013.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...