News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Little evidence' youngsters shunning Facebook
Global research into the popularity of Facebook reveals that the social network is far from 'dead and buried' as suggested by an earlier article by Professor Daniel Miller of University College, London. Instead, it remains as popular and dominant as ever.
According to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic news website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
However, a newer and bigger study by GlobalWebIndex reveals that the social network remains as popular as ever among the younger generations.
"While teen usage of Facebook has seen a small decline, there is strikingly little evidence to suggest that UCL's findings are representative of broader trends," says Tom Smith, founder and chief executive at London- and Singapore-based GlobalWebIndex.
Their research, based on 170,000 online interviews per year across 32 countries, found that Facebook is, by far, the dominant and most-popular social network in the world. It has 67% more teenage users than its nearest competitor, YouTube (29%), and is used by almost half (48.5%) of 16 to 19-year-olds globally on a monthly basis.
GlobalWebIndex's research also shows that Facebook continues to be the top social network in terms of active users, frequency of use and number of accounts, despite a 3% drop in active usage between Q2 and Q4 2013.
Image via Shutterstock
- Valentine's Surveys: What couples are looking
- Shareholic: Facebook now accounts for 25% of social referrals
- Brand Keys predicts Super Bowl winners, losers
- Top 3 data collection trends for 2015
- ChoiceStream: Sports audiences costing brands more
- UK: Privacy concerns rising, trust falling
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
Featured White Papers
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...