News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Janrain: Mistargeted ads pushing more shoppers away from brands
It's no secret that targeting can miss the mark at times. But, a new study out from Janrain and Blue Research puts a disturbing spotlight on what can happen when ads are mistargeted - namely that some consumers will push away from the brand itself.
The new study finds that most (96%) of those surveyed have received mistargeted promotions/ads, but goes on to report that after receiving them 94% then try to cut off communication with the brand - by deleting emails, unsubscribing from email lists and in some cases never visiting their website again.
"This year's study confirms that it's paramount for marketers to establish trust and transparency about how personal information will be used," said Larry Drebes, CEO, Janrain. "The good news is that once trust is no longer an issue, consumers are willing to be identified and recognized as customers across multiple devices to receive personalized content."
"In the four years that we have conducted this study, what is interesting to note is the evolution of consumers that are now no longer willing to accept mistargeted communications," said Paul Abel, Ph.D., Managing Partner, Blue Research. "Today, of those who receive mistargeted communications, almost 7 out of 10 report automatically deleting the email without even looking at them. This should be of interest to marketers determining best practices related to personal customer communications."
Other interesting findings from the Social Login and Personalization study include:
• 88% have seen social login options
• 51% have used social login for site registrations
• 91% say they 'are satisfied' with the personalization/improved targeting offered from social login
• 64% say they're 'more likely to return' to sites that remember their information
• 60% say recommendations based on social login profiles are 'useful'
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...