News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Janrain: Google gaining on Facebook
Over the past two years social login has been trending up with Facebook as a clear leader in the space. But new data just out from Janrain indicates a change in the tide. According to their numbers Google is gaining on Facebook for logins.
Facebook has shown some stagnation over the past few months and while Q3 saw Facebook's login share (45%) climb, Google's share increased by 2.5% to 35%.
"Despite the perception that this could be a two-horse race, it is important to point out just how much consumer preference differs across the world as well as on certain types of sites. LinkedIn, for example, is an especially popular choice on sites that cater toward business professionals, when we want to project our professional identity," writes the company.
Social logins offer consumers a way other than account creation to login to retailer, music or branded sites. According to some studies, consumers don't like creating profiles and accounts for all of the sites they visit; social login allows consumers to use the same profile everywhere. It can also offer retailers and other businesses rich social data for their metrics.
Some interesting Janrainfindings include:
• The top 3 logins for B2B sites are Facebook (30%), LinkedIn (25+%) and Google (25+%)
• Facebook holds nearly 50% of the share for music site logins, followed by Google and Twitter
• More than 60% of entertainment/gaming consumers use Facebook, 20% use Google
• Facebook leads Google on Consumer Brands sites and Retail sites for logins
"In Russia, VK is one of the most popular social networks and is a common choice for social login. In Brazil and India, Orkut is a popular selection. In China, networks such as Sina Weibo and Renren are popular. In Japan, many choose Mixi. More recently-supported identity providers for Janrain, such as Amazon and Instagram, earn anywhere from 10-25% share of social logins on many sites that have enabled it, and as more Janrain customers begin to support them, we expect these services to factor into the conversation more prominently," was written in the report.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
- New Zealand passes law criminalizing cyberbullying
- U.K.: Marketers concerned about keeping pace with marketing technology
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...