News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Janrain: Google gaining on Facebook
Over the past two years social login has been trending up with Facebook as a clear leader in the space. But new data just out from Janrain indicates a change in the tide. According to their numbers Google is gaining on Facebook for logins.
Facebook has shown some stagnation over the past few months and while Q3 saw Facebook's login share (45%) climb, Google's share increased by 2.5% to 35%.
"Despite the perception that this could be a two-horse race, it is important to point out just how much consumer preference differs across the world as well as on certain types of sites. LinkedIn, for example, is an especially popular choice on sites that cater toward business professionals, when we want to project our professional identity," writes the company.
Social logins offer consumers a way other than account creation to login to retailer, music or branded sites. According to some studies, consumers don't like creating profiles and accounts for all of the sites they visit; social login allows consumers to use the same profile everywhere. It can also offer retailers and other businesses rich social data for their metrics.
Some interesting Janrainfindings include:
• The top 3 logins for B2B sites are Facebook (30%), LinkedIn (25+%) and Google (25+%)
• Facebook holds nearly 50% of the share for music site logins, followed by Google and Twitter
• More than 60% of entertainment/gaming consumers use Facebook, 20% use Google
• Facebook leads Google on Consumer Brands sites and Retail sites for logins
"In Russia, VK is one of the most popular social networks and is a common choice for social login. In Brazil and India, Orkut is a popular selection. In China, networks such as Sina Weibo and Renren are popular. In Japan, many choose Mixi. More recently-supported identity providers for Janrain, such as Amazon and Instagram, earn anywhere from 10-25% share of social logins on many sites that have enabled it, and as more Janrain customers begin to support them, we expect these services to factor into the conversation more prominently," was written in the report.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: New solutions for personalization, collaboration
- How brands can better manage social
- How data impacts marketing automation
- Data breaches take seconds, detection far longer
- Brits' visions of the future include microchipped workers and dating robots
- UK insurers performing well on email, not social, for customer service
- Ad Roundup: Releases to increase data offerings
- Study: Predictive analytics key for growth
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...