News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Integral: Ad fraud levels down
Over the past year advertising fraud has gone down, but there may be another worry connected to the Athena botnet. Research into the botnet, which primarily uses Windows-based computers, by Mdotlabs indicates Athena could be easily used to commit advertising fraud.
Timur Yarnall, CEO of MdotLabs said, "Advertisers and publishers should not only take safeguards to protect against this type of activity but also use the Athena release as a chance to learn first-hand how botnets operate."
Meanwhile new data out from Integral Ad Science shows the level of fraud within ad exchanges has decreased over the past year. Their data shows a 30% decrease in 'suspicious' activity from Q4 2012 to Q4 2013 while ad viewability and brand safety have each seen improvement.
"Increased awareness of media quality and the growing adoption of quality standards has a direct effect on the state of the digital media, as visible by this report," said Scott Knoll, CEO of Integral Ad Science. "Now that both advertisers and publishers are taking measures to protect themselves and optimize their media choices, overall quality has improved. We're seeing more ads are in view, and brand safety and suspicious activity problems are being tamed over time. We are proud to lead the industry in this effort and are hard at work to ensure that all players in the digital ecosystem have access to the best-in-breed technology and highest quality media."
Some interesting takeaways include:
• 66% of ads placed through direct publishers were 'in view'
• 50% of ads placed through networks were in view, 47% of exchange-placed ads were in view
• Fewer than 10% of ads were flagged for high-risk content
• 13% of traffic in Q4 2013 was flagged as suspicious
Md - http://www.mdotlabs.com
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...