News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Integral: Ad fraud levels down
Over the past year advertising fraud has gone down, but there may be another worry connected to the Athena botnet. Research into the botnet, which primarily uses Windows-based computers, by Mdotlabs indicates Athena could be easily used to commit advertising fraud.
Timur Yarnall, CEO of MdotLabs said, "Advertisers and publishers should not only take safeguards to protect against this type of activity but also use the Athena release as a chance to learn first-hand how botnets operate."
Meanwhile new data out from Integral Ad Science shows the level of fraud within ad exchanges has decreased over the past year. Their data shows a 30% decrease in 'suspicious' activity from Q4 2012 to Q4 2013 while ad viewability and brand safety have each seen improvement.
"Increased awareness of media quality and the growing adoption of quality standards has a direct effect on the state of the digital media, as visible by this report," said Scott Knoll, CEO of Integral Ad Science. "Now that both advertisers and publishers are taking measures to protect themselves and optimize their media choices, overall quality has improved. We're seeing more ads are in view, and brand safety and suspicious activity problems are being tamed over time. We are proud to lead the industry in this effort and are hard at work to ensure that all players in the digital ecosystem have access to the best-in-breed technology and highest quality media."
Some interesting takeaways include:
• 66% of ads placed through direct publishers were 'in view'
• 50% of ads placed through networks were in view, 47% of exchange-placed ads were in view
• Fewer than 10% of ads were flagged for high-risk content
• 13% of traffic in Q4 2013 was flagged as suspicious
Md - http://www.mdotlabs.com
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...