News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
In-App Buys bigger than paid apps
For a while paid apps led the revenue segment for many developers, and for many it still does. But in 2013, a change has begun - at least for the app stores. According to new data from Distimo, in-app purchases - many times from free apps - are leading the revenue charge.
The Distimo data focuses on revenue to app stores and finds that about 98% of Google Play revenue as well as 92% of Apple App Store revenues resulted from in-app purchases made within free apps (November 2013). At the beginning of 2013 both the Google and Apple stores saw at least 10% less revenue from in-app purchases each.
eMarketer suggests just over 40% of all app revenues will come from in-app purchases (2013) and that the share will grow to 47.5% by 2017.
As for the mobile smartphone breakdown, comScore reports Apple still leads the way with a 40% OEM marketshare, while Google/Android holds a 52% share of platform marketplace. Just over 62% of the American population now owns a smartphone with most logging on to Google sites (88% reach), Facebook (84% reach) and Yahoo sites (77% reach) most often.
And talking about apps, specifically, Facebook's app reaches 75% of the marketplace, holding the top app slot. Google Play (54% share) and Google Search (52% share) hold slots two and three with Pandora coming in fourth with a 48% share.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...