News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
In-App Buys bigger than paid apps
For a while paid apps led the revenue segment for many developers, and for many it still does. But in 2013, a change has begun - at least for the app stores. According to new data from Distimo, in-app purchases - many times from free apps - are leading the revenue charge.
The Distimo data focuses on revenue to app stores and finds that about 98% of Google Play revenue as well as 92% of Apple App Store revenues resulted from in-app purchases made within free apps (November 2013). At the beginning of 2013 both the Google and Apple stores saw at least 10% less revenue from in-app purchases each.
eMarketer suggests just over 40% of all app revenues will come from in-app purchases (2013) and that the share will grow to 47.5% by 2017.
As for the mobile smartphone breakdown, comScore reports Apple still leads the way with a 40% OEM marketshare, while Google/Android holds a 52% share of platform marketplace. Just over 62% of the American population now owns a smartphone with most logging on to Google sites (88% reach), Facebook (84% reach) and Yahoo sites (77% reach) most often.
And talking about apps, specifically, Facebook's app reaches 75% of the marketplace, holding the top app slot. Google Play (54% share) and Google Search (52% share) hold slots two and three with Pandora coming in fourth with a 48% share.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Where retailers should focus this holiday season
- Top 3 tips to create stronger video content
- Forecast: Holidays could be a boon to retailers
- 'Password fatigue' drives social login use
- Millennial-led SMBs defining new world order for marketing
- Online payment fraud costing U.S. merchants billions
- Online ad viewability in UK remains below 50%
- Mobile banking logins outpacing desktop
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....