News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
In-App Buys bigger than paid apps
For a while paid apps led the revenue segment for many developers, and for many it still does. But in 2013, a change has begun - at least for the app stores. According to new data from Distimo, in-app purchases - many times from free apps - are leading the revenue charge.
The Distimo data focuses on revenue to app stores and finds that about 98% of Google Play revenue as well as 92% of Apple App Store revenues resulted from in-app purchases made within free apps (November 2013). At the beginning of 2013 both the Google and Apple stores saw at least 10% less revenue from in-app purchases each.
eMarketer suggests just over 40% of all app revenues will come from in-app purchases (2013) and that the share will grow to 47.5% by 2017.
As for the mobile smartphone breakdown, comScore reports Apple still leads the way with a 40% OEM marketshare, while Google/Android holds a 52% share of platform marketplace. Just over 62% of the American population now owns a smartphone with most logging on to Google sites (88% reach), Facebook (84% reach) and Yahoo sites (77% reach) most often.
And talking about apps, specifically, Facebook's app reaches 75% of the marketplace, holding the top app slot. Google Play (54% share) and Google Search (52% share) hold slots two and three with Pandora coming in fourth with a 48% share.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...