News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
In-App Buys bigger than paid apps
For a while paid apps led the revenue segment for many developers, and for many it still does. But in 2013, a change has begun - at least for the app stores. According to new data from Distimo, in-app purchases - many times from free apps - are leading the revenue charge.
The Distimo data focuses on revenue to app stores and finds that about 98% of Google Play revenue as well as 92% of Apple App Store revenues resulted from in-app purchases made within free apps (November 2013). At the beginning of 2013 both the Google and Apple stores saw at least 10% less revenue from in-app purchases each.
eMarketer suggests just over 40% of all app revenues will come from in-app purchases (2013) and that the share will grow to 47.5% by 2017.
As for the mobile smartphone breakdown, comScore reports Apple still leads the way with a 40% OEM marketshare, while Google/Android holds a 52% share of platform marketplace. Just over 62% of the American population now owns a smartphone with most logging on to Google sites (88% reach), Facebook (84% reach) and Yahoo sites (77% reach) most often.
And talking about apps, specifically, Facebook's app reaches 75% of the marketplace, holding the top app slot. Google Play (54% share) and Google Search (52% share) hold slots two and three with Pandora coming in fourth with a 48% share.
Image via Shutterstock
- Working 9-5 becoming a thing of the past?
- Accordant Media: 151% increase in global programmatic auction volume
- Report: Digital will be strong through holiday season
- Expert: How to ready for speech analytics
- Study: CPG to top $10b this year
- Newspapers go digital but readers continue to pick up a print copy
- Expert: How subscriptions are driving retail
- Report: US small businesses pushing international
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...
- Key Tools for Engagement Marketing
Dig into the concept of digital marketing and how to be successful in today's modern, complex business landscape...