News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
In-App Buys bigger than paid apps
For a while paid apps led the revenue segment for many developers, and for many it still does. But in 2013, a change has begun - at least for the app stores. According to new data from Distimo, in-app purchases - many times from free apps - are leading the revenue charge.
The Distimo data focuses on revenue to app stores and finds that about 98% of Google Play revenue as well as 92% of Apple App Store revenues resulted from in-app purchases made within free apps (November 2013). At the beginning of 2013 both the Google and Apple stores saw at least 10% less revenue from in-app purchases each.
eMarketer suggests just over 40% of all app revenues will come from in-app purchases (2013) and that the share will grow to 47.5% by 2017.
As for the mobile smartphone breakdown, comScore reports Apple still leads the way with a 40% OEM marketshare, while Google/Android holds a 52% share of platform marketplace. Just over 62% of the American population now owns a smartphone with most logging on to Google sites (88% reach), Facebook (84% reach) and Yahoo sites (77% reach) most often.
And talking about apps, specifically, Facebook's app reaches 75% of the marketplace, holding the top app slot. Google Play (54% share) and Google Search (52% share) hold slots two and three with Pandora coming in fourth with a 48% share.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...