News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IBM: Showrooming no longer a top threat
Showrooming is no longer the number one threat to brick-and-mortar retailers, according to new research released by IBM.
Showrooming - the practice of using a mobile device in stores to search and browse for products before heading online to make a purchase - is 'no longer a top threat' to retailers according to research just released by IBM.
The findings are the result of a survey of 30,554 consumers around the globe conducted at the end of November, 2013, and presented at the 2014 National Retail Federation conference. They show that just 8% of consumers showroomed in 2013, up from 6% the previous year.
Furthermore, the survey found that, while 30% of total online purchases were made as a result of showrooming, that figure had dropped from 50% in 2012. Instead, 70% of purchases were made by shoppers that went directly online.
More shoppers than ever are using their mobile devices to research and purchase and, according to the IBM survey, price consistency across online and physical stores is what most consumers demand. Other expectations include the ability to ship items that are out of stock in a store direct to a home address, track order status, consistent inventory across on- and offline channels and the ability to return online purchases to a store.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: How to reconnect customers
- Fiksu launches mobile audience platform
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for mobile, online reach
- Imbalanced approach to social means consumers left waiting for response
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
Featured White Papers
- B2B Marketing Automation Platforms 2015: A Marketer's Guide
This report was prepared by conducting in-depth interviews with leading vendors and industry experts....
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...