News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IBM: Showrooming no longer a top threat
Showrooming is no longer the number one threat to brick-and-mortar retailers, according to new research released by IBM.
Showrooming - the practice of using a mobile device in stores to search and browse for products before heading online to make a purchase - is 'no longer a top threat' to retailers according to research just released by IBM.
The findings are the result of a survey of 30,554 consumers around the globe conducted at the end of November, 2013, and presented at the 2014 National Retail Federation conference. They show that just 8% of consumers showroomed in 2013, up from 6% the previous year.
Furthermore, the survey found that, while 30% of total online purchases were made as a result of showrooming, that figure had dropped from 50% in 2012. Instead, 70% of purchases were made by shoppers that went directly online.
More shoppers than ever are using their mobile devices to research and purchase and, according to the IBM survey, price consistency across online and physical stores is what most consumers demand. Other expectations include the ability to ship items that are out of stock in a store direct to a home address, track order status, consistent inventory across on- and offline channels and the ability to return online purchases to a store.
Image via Shutterstock
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...