News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IBM: Showrooming no longer a top threat
Showrooming is no longer the number one threat to brick-and-mortar retailers, according to new research released by IBM.
Showrooming - the practice of using a mobile device in stores to search and browse for products before heading online to make a purchase - is 'no longer a top threat' to retailers according to research just released by IBM.
The findings are the result of a survey of 30,554 consumers around the globe conducted at the end of November, 2013, and presented at the 2014 National Retail Federation conference. They show that just 8% of consumers showroomed in 2013, up from 6% the previous year.
Furthermore, the survey found that, while 30% of total online purchases were made as a result of showrooming, that figure had dropped from 50% in 2012. Instead, 70% of purchases were made by shoppers that went directly online.
More shoppers than ever are using their mobile devices to research and purchase and, according to the IBM survey, price consistency across online and physical stores is what most consumers demand. Other expectations include the ability to ship items that are out of stock in a store direct to a home address, track order status, consistent inventory across on- and offline channels and the ability to return online purchases to a store.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...