News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IBM: Showrooming no longer a top threat
Showrooming is no longer the number one threat to brick-and-mortar retailers, according to new research released by IBM.
Showrooming - the practice of using a mobile device in stores to search and browse for products before heading online to make a purchase - is 'no longer a top threat' to retailers according to research just released by IBM.
The findings are the result of a survey of 30,554 consumers around the globe conducted at the end of November, 2013, and presented at the 2014 National Retail Federation conference. They show that just 8% of consumers showroomed in 2013, up from 6% the previous year.
Furthermore, the survey found that, while 30% of total online purchases were made as a result of showrooming, that figure had dropped from 50% in 2012. Instead, 70% of purchases were made by shoppers that went directly online.
More shoppers than ever are using their mobile devices to research and purchase and, according to the IBM survey, price consistency across online and physical stores is what most consumers demand. Other expectations include the ability to ship items that are out of stock in a store direct to a home address, track order status, consistent inventory across on- and offline channels and the ability to return online purchases to a store.
Image via Shutterstock
- Why do online shoppers switch devices between research and purchase?
- Video ad budgets increasingly diversifying beyond pre-roll
- Reports: Mobile, deals important to shoppers
- Expert: How brands can use social data
- Study finds 2/3s purchase via mobile
- Consumers shun search engines for retail sites during product discovery
- Trust holding back sharing economy adoption
- Top tips to improve cash flow
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...