News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IBM: Showrooming no longer a top threat
Showrooming is no longer the number one threat to brick-and-mortar retailers, according to new research released by IBM.
Showrooming - the practice of using a mobile device in stores to search and browse for products before heading online to make a purchase - is 'no longer a top threat' to retailers according to research just released by IBM.
The findings are the result of a survey of 30,554 consumers around the globe conducted at the end of November, 2013, and presented at the 2014 National Retail Federation conference. They show that just 8% of consumers showroomed in 2013, up from 6% the previous year.
Furthermore, the survey found that, while 30% of total online purchases were made as a result of showrooming, that figure had dropped from 50% in 2012. Instead, 70% of purchases were made by shoppers that went directly online.
More shoppers than ever are using their mobile devices to research and purchase and, according to the IBM survey, price consistency across online and physical stores is what most consumers demand. Other expectations include the ability to ship items that are out of stock in a store direct to a home address, track order status, consistent inventory across on- and offline channels and the ability to return online purchases to a store.
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...