News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How Google's PLAs are impacting the retail space
Google's Product Listing Ads (PLAs) are changing the way retailers advertise in the online space; new data out from Marin Software shows PLA spending increased nearly 300% in 2013, with significant growth during the holiday season.
According to Marin's data the PLA spend was changing how brands used search ads - through October 2013 retailers spent an average of 12%-15% of their search budgets on PLAs but by December about 23% of the search budget was pushed to PLA options.
The top reason for this change: consumer engagement. According to Marin 1 in 5 paid shopping clicks (2013) can be attributed to a PLA. At the same time, clicks on typical text ads decreased by as much as 13%. The highest click-thrus for PLAs came during the holiday season when clicks jumped.
"A year most likely remembered for enhanced campaigns, 2013 encapsulated a dramatic shift in the shopping landscape and changed the way retailers approach PLAs. As consumer engagement and the cost of PLAs continue to increase, advertisers will need to rethink their PLA strategy. Setting revenue maximizing budgets across search and Shopping campaigns will become critical particularly during the holiday seasons. Shifting more attention toward optimizing the mobile experience--mobile-friendly landing pages, integrating Google Merchant Center's local availability and local storefront features--will be key to maximizing smartphone PLA performance," writes the company.
Looking ahead to 2014 Marin's experts believe that Google's Shopping campaigns, which roll out in the US first, will give retailers a better way to manage and analyze PLA spending. This, in turn, could push more ad dollars into the space.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...