News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of British holidaymakers don't trust mobile apps
British holidaymakers don't put much faith in mobile apps for booking accommodation and travel, according to a recent survey by budget holiday company Sunshine.co.uk.
The mobile app market is worth billions, but not all Brits are taking to the channel to book hotels and flights. Sunshine.co.uk's survey of over 1,500 UK adults found that over half (53%) did not trust holiday booking apps due to security concerns (32%), concerns they might not get what they expect (25%) and little knowledge of which third-party was behind the app (16%) (except for big brand apps).
Adding to consumers' mistrust of hotel or holiday booking apps is that a few users have had bad experiences. Of the 4% who had had problems, 22% felt they had been misled by app content and were disappointed with their holiday. Another 16% were disappointed to find that they hadn't got as good a deal as they had thought.
While 13% of all respondents had previously used an app on their smartphone or tablet to make a holiday booking, the preferred channel remains 'online', cited by over two-thirds (67%). This was closely followed by 'high street travel agents' (41%) and 'telephone bookings' (29%).
While apps may have a way to go before gaining consumer trust, mobile-optimized websites already play a significant role in holiday booking. Recent figures released by Travelbag show that, since the launch of their mobile-optimized website, conversion rates are up. In fact, the average order value of bookings made on Travelbag.co.uk is, for the first time ever, higher among smartphone users than desktop users. Demonstrating that high value purchases are no longer a barrier to mobile use, the highest order made on a smartphone with Travelbag.co.uk totaled $12,807.
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....