News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of British holidaymakers don't trust mobile apps
British holidaymakers don't put much faith in mobile apps for booking accommodation and travel, according to a recent survey by budget holiday company Sunshine.co.uk.
The mobile app market is worth billions, but not all Brits are taking to the channel to book hotels and flights. Sunshine.co.uk's survey of over 1,500 UK adults found that over half (53%) did not trust holiday booking apps due to security concerns (32%), concerns they might not get what they expect (25%) and little knowledge of which third-party was behind the app (16%) (except for big brand apps).
Adding to consumers' mistrust of hotel or holiday booking apps is that a few users have had bad experiences. Of the 4% who had had problems, 22% felt they had been misled by app content and were disappointed with their holiday. Another 16% were disappointed to find that they hadn't got as good a deal as they had thought.
While 13% of all respondents had previously used an app on their smartphone or tablet to make a holiday booking, the preferred channel remains 'online', cited by over two-thirds (67%). This was closely followed by 'high street travel agents' (41%) and 'telephone bookings' (29%).
While apps may have a way to go before gaining consumer trust, mobile-optimized websites already play a significant role in holiday booking. Recent figures released by Travelbag show that, since the launch of their mobile-optimized website, conversion rates are up. In fact, the average order value of bookings made on Travelbag.co.uk is, for the first time ever, higher among smartphone users than desktop users. Demonstrating that high value purchases are no longer a barrier to mobile use, the highest order made on a smartphone with Travelbag.co.uk totaled $12,807.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
- Study IDs disconnect between brands, consumers
- Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...