News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google intent on breaking bad ads and advertisers
Google pulled almost 1 million 'bad' ads per day from its system last year in an attempt to stem the tide of suspect downloads and other malicious online activities.
In 2012, Google removed about 224 million 'bad ads'. Last year, the company removed 59% more - over 350 million, according to Google ads engineering director, Mike Hochberg, in a recent blog post.
"We've allocated substantial technical, financial, and human resources to stopping bad advertising practices and protecting users on the web," writes Hochberg. "Hundreds of our engineers, policy experts and others have dedicated their careers to this work."
While the number of bad ads being detected and yanked from the system has risen, the number of banned advertisers has dropped year-on-year. In 2012, 850,000 bad advertisers were given the boot compared to 270,000 in 2013.
Google's other achievements that help to maintain a healthy advertising ecosystem include:
- Banned more than 14,000 advertisers for trying to sell counterfeit goods;
- Disabled more than 2 million ads for illegal online pharmacies;
- Disabled more than 5,000 AdSense accounts for violations of their copyright policy;
- Disabled ad-serving for more than 1,800 sites and over 4,000 AdWords accounts linked to third-party remote tech support scams;
- Disabled ads from more than 4,000 websites hiding malware;
- Disabled ads for over 10,000 websites promoting get-rich-quick schemes.
"This is an ever-evolving and ongoing fight," concludes Hochberg. "Bad actors are relentless, often very sophisticated and will not rest on their laurels. But neither will we. Nothing is more important than the security of our users and we'll continue to work tirelessly to keep them safe online."
- Survey finds email pressure for retailers
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...