News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook first in rankings despite falling out of favor with kids
Youngsters may be fleeing Facebook in favor of Instagram and other social networking platforms, but Zuckerberg's network remains top of the social media rankings, according to a recent Pew Research Center Internet Project study.
Almost three-quarters (73%) of online U.S. adults use some type of social network, found Pew's study conducted in August and September of 2013. And, despite reports of people logging off, among them younger users, Facebook remains the top destination with 71% of online adults having a profile on the social network, up from 67% in 2012.
That 71% represents more than triple the amount of other social media sites such as Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, although those destinations are growing rapidly as almost half (42%) of online U.S. adults now use at least two networks. Of the 'other' social networks, Pinterest showed the most growth in 2013 rising from 15% of online U.S. adults in 2012 to 21% at the time of the study although LinkedIn is the second most-popular behind Facebook with 22%.
As Facebook loses its cool-factor among youngsters, who seem to be migrating to more visual networks such as Instagram, the older demographic is seeing some growth. Today, 45% of online U.S. adults age 65 and over use Facebook, up from 35% in late 2012, while the 18-29 year old demographic has decreased slightly, by 2%, to 84%.
In fact, according to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic new website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and that they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...