News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook first in rankings despite falling out of favor with kids
Youngsters may be fleeing Facebook in favor of Instagram and other social networking platforms, but Zuckerberg's network remains top of the social media rankings, according to a recent Pew Research Center Internet Project study.
Almost three-quarters (73%) of online U.S. adults use some type of social network, found Pew's study conducted in August and September of 2013. And, despite reports of people logging off, among them younger users, Facebook remains the top destination with 71% of online adults having a profile on the social network, up from 67% in 2012.
That 71% represents more than triple the amount of other social media sites such as Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, although those destinations are growing rapidly as almost half (42%) of online U.S. adults now use at least two networks. Of the 'other' social networks, Pinterest showed the most growth in 2013 rising from 15% of online U.S. adults in 2012 to 21% at the time of the study although LinkedIn is the second most-popular behind Facebook with 22%.
As Facebook loses its cool-factor among youngsters, who seem to be migrating to more visual networks such as Instagram, the older demographic is seeing some growth. Today, 45% of online U.S. adults age 65 and over use Facebook, up from 35% in late 2012, while the 18-29 year old demographic has decreased slightly, by 2%, to 84%.
In fact, according to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic new website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and that they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...