News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook first in rankings despite falling out of favor with kids
Youngsters may be fleeing Facebook in favor of Instagram and other social networking platforms, but Zuckerberg's network remains top of the social media rankings, according to a recent Pew Research Center Internet Project study.
Almost three-quarters (73%) of online U.S. adults use some type of social network, found Pew's study conducted in August and September of 2013. And, despite reports of people logging off, among them younger users, Facebook remains the top destination with 71% of online adults having a profile on the social network, up from 67% in 2012.
That 71% represents more than triple the amount of other social media sites such as Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, although those destinations are growing rapidly as almost half (42%) of online U.S. adults now use at least two networks. Of the 'other' social networks, Pinterest showed the most growth in 2013 rising from 15% of online U.S. adults in 2012 to 21% at the time of the study although LinkedIn is the second most-popular behind Facebook with 22%.
As Facebook loses its cool-factor among youngsters, who seem to be migrating to more visual networks such as Instagram, the older demographic is seeing some growth. Today, 45% of online U.S. adults age 65 and over use Facebook, up from 35% in late 2012, while the 18-29 year old demographic has decreased slightly, by 2%, to 84%.
In fact, according to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic new website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and that they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...