News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook first in rankings despite falling out of favor with kids
Youngsters may be fleeing Facebook in favor of Instagram and other social networking platforms, but Zuckerberg's network remains top of the social media rankings, according to a recent Pew Research Center Internet Project study.
Almost three-quarters (73%) of online U.S. adults use some type of social network, found Pew's study conducted in August and September of 2013. And, despite reports of people logging off, among them younger users, Facebook remains the top destination with 71% of online adults having a profile on the social network, up from 67% in 2012.
That 71% represents more than triple the amount of other social media sites such as Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, although those destinations are growing rapidly as almost half (42%) of online U.S. adults now use at least two networks. Of the 'other' social networks, Pinterest showed the most growth in 2013 rising from 15% of online U.S. adults in 2012 to 21% at the time of the study although LinkedIn is the second most-popular behind Facebook with 22%.
As Facebook loses its cool-factor among youngsters, who seem to be migrating to more visual networks such as Instagram, the older demographic is seeing some growth. Today, 45% of online U.S. adults age 65 and over use Facebook, up from 35% in late 2012, while the 18-29 year old demographic has decreased slightly, by 2%, to 84%.
In fact, according to an article by anthropologist Professor Daniel Miller on the academic new website "The Conversation", youngsters today "feel embarrassed even to be associated" with Facebook and that they only maintain a profile due to family pressures to keep them up-to-date with what's going on in their lives.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....