News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers skipping stores for Valentine's Day gifts
More than half of consumers will shun stores in preference of buying their Valentine's Day gifts online this year, according to the results of a new survey from Adroit Digital.
In their study of how 1,000 consumers plan to purchase Valentine's Day gifts in 2014, Adroit Digital found that online will play a major role. Of the 1,000 U.S. consumers over the age of 18 surveyed, all of whom own a smartphone and PC, 59% said they would skip the stores and purchase a gift online which included using either a smartphone or tablet.
Who said men aren't organized? Men are getting a head start for Valentine's Day, found the survey. While almost half (47%) said they plan to purchase Valentine's Day gifts in the first week of February, just 27% of women had the same idea. Instead, 48% of women will purchase gifts in the second week compared with just 25% of men.
It's time that advertisers got their Valentine's Day campaigns underway, particularly those running online and mobile ad campaigns. More than half (58%) of consumers said their purchase decisions are influenced by online, mobile and tablet ads and personalized ads, in particular, appeal to many with 36% of consumers saying they would be 50% more likely to respond to a personalized ad versus a generic ad.
To seal the deal, shoppers are looking for free delivery. Nearly two-thirds would seek out another retailer if free shipping wasn't on offer and 48% would look further afield if Valentine's Day specials weren't offered.
"The winning formula for retailers this Valentine's Day is recognizing the significant role that online ads will have in influencing purchase decisions. Shoppers are more likely to buy online if the ads they encounter are personalized," says Scott German, GM of Adroit Digital. "If that's not taken in to account, then retailers stand to miss out on billions of dollars in a two-week window."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...