News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers skipping stores for Valentine's Day gifts
More than half of consumers will shun stores in preference of buying their Valentine's Day gifts online this year, according to the results of a new survey from Adroit Digital.
In their study of how 1,000 consumers plan to purchase Valentine's Day gifts in 2014, Adroit Digital found that online will play a major role. Of the 1,000 U.S. consumers over the age of 18 surveyed, all of whom own a smartphone and PC, 59% said they would skip the stores and purchase a gift online which included using either a smartphone or tablet.
Who said men aren't organized? Men are getting a head start for Valentine's Day, found the survey. While almost half (47%) said they plan to purchase Valentine's Day gifts in the first week of February, just 27% of women had the same idea. Instead, 48% of women will purchase gifts in the second week compared with just 25% of men.
It's time that advertisers got their Valentine's Day campaigns underway, particularly those running online and mobile ad campaigns. More than half (58%) of consumers said their purchase decisions are influenced by online, mobile and tablet ads and personalized ads, in particular, appeal to many with 36% of consumers saying they would be 50% more likely to respond to a personalized ad versus a generic ad.
To seal the deal, shoppers are looking for free delivery. Nearly two-thirds would seek out another retailer if free shipping wasn't on offer and 48% would look further afield if Valentine's Day specials weren't offered.
"The winning formula for retailers this Valentine's Day is recognizing the significant role that online ads will have in influencing purchase decisions. Shoppers are more likely to buy online if the ads they encounter are personalized," says Scott German, GM of Adroit Digital. "If that's not taken in to account, then retailers stand to miss out on billions of dollars in a two-week window."
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....