News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers skipping stores for Valentine's Day gifts
More than half of consumers will shun stores in preference of buying their Valentine's Day gifts online this year, according to the results of a new survey from Adroit Digital.
In their study of how 1,000 consumers plan to purchase Valentine's Day gifts in 2014, Adroit Digital found that online will play a major role. Of the 1,000 U.S. consumers over the age of 18 surveyed, all of whom own a smartphone and PC, 59% said they would skip the stores and purchase a gift online which included using either a smartphone or tablet.
Who said men aren't organized? Men are getting a head start for Valentine's Day, found the survey. While almost half (47%) said they plan to purchase Valentine's Day gifts in the first week of February, just 27% of women had the same idea. Instead, 48% of women will purchase gifts in the second week compared with just 25% of men.
It's time that advertisers got their Valentine's Day campaigns underway, particularly those running online and mobile ad campaigns. More than half (58%) of consumers said their purchase decisions are influenced by online, mobile and tablet ads and personalized ads, in particular, appeal to many with 36% of consumers saying they would be 50% more likely to respond to a personalized ad versus a generic ad.
To seal the deal, shoppers are looking for free delivery. Nearly two-thirds would seek out another retailer if free shipping wasn't on offer and 48% would look further afield if Valentine's Day specials weren't offered.
"The winning formula for retailers this Valentine's Day is recognizing the significant role that online ads will have in influencing purchase decisions. Shoppers are more likely to buy online if the ads they encounter are personalized," says Scott German, GM of Adroit Digital. "If that's not taken in to account, then retailers stand to miss out on billions of dollars in a two-week window."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...