News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers prefer tablets for leisure travel research
While tablet owners also have a smartphone to hand, most will turn to the bigger screen to plan and book travel requirements, according to new research from industry research firm PhoCusWright.
"There's a new mobile disruptor in town", states PhoCusWright, and it is the tablet. In the latest Traveler Technology Survey it is revealed that 44% of leisure travelers now own a tablet and a further 4 in 10 plan to purchase one this year.
That travel planning is mostly carried out on desktop PCs is true for the time being, as the number of U.S. travelers armed with tablets continues to grow that fact may soon be outdated. Seven in ten tablet users say researching vacations online is 'somewhat' or 'very' easy and, despite also having a smartphone, mobile travel planning is more likely to be conducted on a tablet.
"Tablets are having an impact on travel planning habits that goes far beyond simply adding one more device to the mix," said Marcello Gasdia, PhoCusWright's consumer research analyst. "Once a traveler purchases a tablet, we're seeing their mobile web usage nearly double, with the mobile web accounting for fifty percent of time spent online."
A recent survey by travel industry event Travel Technology Europe found that 83% of travel technology firms expect to spend more on new technology this year of which 72% of that increased spend will be on mobile technology.
"Interestingly, not only is the travel technology world gearing up for the year of mobile, it is planning the relevant investments to deliver what is expected to be a real step change," said Travel Technology Europe event manager, Sarina Patel.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...