News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: 10% increase in online 2013 holiday spending
While no one said the 2013 holiday spend would set the world on fire, the strength in consumer spending may be a surprise to some. According to comScore's tally the official online spend for the 2013 holiday season was 10% over 2012 spending. This even though the holiday season was shortened by nearly a week.
Non-travel related holiday spending reached $42.75 billion in 2013; the 2012 total rests at $38.912 billion. Along with the 10% increase comes a sign that most people are doing more shopping online and via mobile devices - there were 10 individual days during which people spent more than $1 billion online.
"Strong momentum coming out of Thanksgiving, in addition to heavy weekend buying, suggested we would meet or exceed expectations as long as momentum continued through the final week before Christmas. Unfortunately, the most recent week fell short of those expectations, and it looks like the final season growth rate will end up a few percentage points shy of what we had anticipated. In the end, I think we'll look back at this online holiday season as one where absolute dollar sales gains in consumer spending were held back by heavy retailer price discounting that occurred in an attempt to stimulate consumer demand, while at the same time, consumers weren't willing or able to increase their spending rate to fully compensate for the six-day shorter shopping period between Thanksgiving and Christmas," said Gian Fulgoni, comScore Chairman.
The top-gaining ecommerce categories for the 2013 holiday season included:
• Video Game Consoles/Accessories
• Consumer Electronics
• Computer Hardware
The top spending day online for the 2013 season was Cyber Monday with a total of $1.735 billion spent.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....