News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Asda: Grandmothers head online to manage household budgets
The latest Mumdex Report from British supermarket chain Asda reveals that mums of all ages are now using technology to manage the household budget and make money stretch as far as possible.
Nine out of 10 young mums surveyed by Asda go online to save money by shopping around. Mothers, and grandmothers, are not just using desktop PCs, more than 70% of the 5,500 women surveyed, across all age groups, owned a smartphone and 78% of those age 20-29 has shopped online via their device.
It's not just younger mums that use technology to stretch their household budgets to the fullest. A significant number (85%) of grandmothers, age 60 and over, and almost half of those age 70 and over, said they had used the Internet and digital apps to save money.
"It's refreshing to see that smartphone apps and comparison sites are not exclusive to the younger generation," says Hayley Tatum, Asda's Executive People Director, "and in general mums are feeling much more optimistic as they find effective ways to make the pound in their pocket stretch further."
Other findings from Asda's Mumdex Report (.pdf) include:
- 41% cooked meals from scratch using recipes they found online;
- Three-quarters regularly use online banking to monitor household budgets;
- Two-thirds have saved money by using the Internet to research and change service providers such as energy, insurance and banking interest rates.
Image via Shutterstock
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...